Dishwasher and furnace drains

Users who are viewing this thread

cybervex

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help on my previous venting questions. I am now moving on to the other side of the house

1. Is it code to drain a dishwasher just like a washing machine with a standpipe? My dishwasher will be locate in the end of a peninsula about 8 feet from the kitchen sink.

2. Can the condensation drain from a 2nd floor furnace drain to the stand pipe of the washing machine? I have no wash tub.

3. Is it possible to tie a crawlspace furnace condensation drain into the plumbing system? Is there something made specifically for this?

My crawl is sealed( no vents, no open drains, spray-foam on the walls, and 4" concrete floor over vapor barrier).

Thanks in advance

Cheers

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dw

1. Is it code to drain a dishwasher just like a washing machine with a standpipe? My dishwasher will be locate in the end of a peninsula about 8 feet from the kitchen sink.

As long as it has a air gap and the standpipe is high enough so it will not overflow if the sink drain backsup into it.

2. Can the condensation drain from a 2nd floor furnace drain to the stand pipe of the washing machine? I have no wash tub.

That is one possible place where it should go.

3. Is it possible to tie a crawlspace furnace condensation drain into the plumbing system? Is there something made specifically for this?

No. And No. If you do it your next posting to here will be, "why do I have sewer gas odor all through my house?"
Thanks in advance

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Re: last question.... Why can't you use an air gap and a p-trap for this? How is this not similar to a floor drain or washing machine standpipe? How about a a condensate pump with a check valve and piping the discharge to a convenient waste pipe?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The condensate pump will be fine a direct drain should be avoided... As HJ said the smell would be sustantial.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

A condensate pump breaks the air flowfrom the drain to the air handling unit so it can discharge anywhere you want it to. If the DW standpipe is connected to the same drain as the kitchen sink, then if it stops up the water will rise in it tothe same level as in the kitchen sink, and if it is lower it will overflow before the sink does, and if the disposer is used at that time it will have a major overflow at the DW drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks