Dishwasher and braided hose quesiton

Users who are viewing this thread

hab888

Reaction score
So we are replacing our dishwasher from an old GE profile to a Bosch tall tub (to be delivered this week).
The GE is currently connected to the hot water line in the basement and fed through the floor using soft copper. due to the design of the Bosch and it's base I am going to have to move the place the water line hole is and will need a longer line. So I am thinking I will not be able to use the current soft copper.
The distance from the hot water shutoff valve to the dishwasher inlet is going to be roughly 10 feet, so I am considering using 2 braided s/s hoses with a connecter in between (so i get a 10 ft hose that I can't seem to find) to hook it up to the water to the dish washer.

my questions are:
Is this a viable solution? and how reliable will it be?
Does it matter if I use two 5 ft hoses or a 6 ft and a 4 ft?

I did consider using pex, but figured this will be easier to install since i just have to screw the connections on to the shutoff valve and didn't need any special tools to crimp the pex or wasn't sure about the reliability of sharkbite connectors.

I am not considering using copper because of the design of the bosch dishwasher and think it'd be a pain if i ever have to take the dishwasher out for any sort of serviceand any sort of need to unbend the copper line so that I could take the dishwasher out.(this is due to the design of the bosch that has a plastic base.)

I am also considering using the drain hose so i dont have to re run it , that is if the connector to the drain hose is the correct size. is this an ok idea or should I consider replacing it with a new one. (I am hoping the drain connector size will be the same) I want to install a new hose because again the current dishwasher is run through the joists in the basement and then back up again to the kitchen drain on the main floor.

anyways, any advice or comments would be appreciated.
thanks in advance

hab888

Reaction score
Is your dishwasher next to the kitchen sink?

it is not next to the sink, our counters/cabinets form an "L" and the sink is in the middle of one side of the "L" and the Dishwasher is on the other part of the "L"

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Why not remove the copper line and replace it with PEX.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He already said he DID not want to use PEX, because of the need for a crimping tool, and PEX is NOT as flexible as a ss flex. There is no problem using two flex lines, regardless of which sizes you use.

hab888

Reaction score
Why not remove the copper line and replace it with PEX.

John

I guess that's the advice I am looking for, ( I 've never worked with pex before)
I do have a shutoff valve off the main hotwater line that is currently connected to the dishwasher using soft copper.

excuse my ignorance/naivity
How hard would it be to just replace that with pex? I'm assuming it'll be the same as just running braided but needing to find a 3/8th size hose with the appropriate end connectors.
I went to a home reno place (Rona here in canada) and looked at the pex tubes, but didn't see any 3/8ths hoses. I only saw 1/2 and larger.
and I wasn't sure what connectors would work the best. and I don't have the fancy/expensive tools to work with pex either.

Either way, I just want a good reliable system that'll be easy to install

as well any comment on if it's ok to use the old drain hose if it fits?

thanks again in advance.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I was referring to 3/8" OD PEX. It can be used with compression fittings.

John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, while you can run PEX through the floor, it is not code to pass a flex. supply line through the floor.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
leave your copper as is. It comes out of the floor wherever it comes out of the floor. From there, connect a braided supply hose and run it UNDER the Bosch DW to the front of the Bosch DW where its supply is to be connected. This is standard procedure. Bosch DW have a space provided for the supply hose to come through from wherever and forward underneath the body of the DW.

Change the drain hose. Use the Bosch one.

Call Bosch and ask if it's better to have the hose be looped high first before traveling any distance. I'll bet they say yes. For the new route that this hose will take, cut new holes at the top of your cabinets under the countertop and run the DW drain hose through them. The hose comes downhill once it's inside the sink cabinet. It connects to the sink drain Wye. (If it doesn't go through a disposer).

hab888

Reaction score
leave your copper as is. It comes out of the floor wherever it comes out of the floor. From there, connect a braided supply hose and run it UNDER the Bosch DW to the front of the Bosch DW where its supply is to be connected. This is standard procedure. Bosch DW have a space provided for the supply hose to come through from wherever and forward underneath the body of the DW.

Change the drain hose. Use the Bosch one.

Call Bosch and ask if it's better to have the hose be looped high first before traveling any distance. I'll bet they say yes. For the new route that this hose will take, cut new holes at the top of your cabinets under the countertop and run the DW drain hose through them. The hose comes downhill once it's inside the sink cabinet. It connects to the sink drain Wye. (If it doesn't go through a disposer).

Unfortunately for me, i think the copper is in a place where the bosch plastic base is, and will not be able to come through properly.
The diagram from the bosch install instructions show a 4x3 inch space at the back of the dishwasher where the line can come through.

If it isn't code to run a flex line through the floor I was thinking of trying to move the copper to a spot where it wouldn't be a problem and attach a braided hose to make the connection. or see if i can find a shop that has 3/8ths pex with compression fittings.

Thanks for the tip to go through the cabinets for the new drain hose. I was thinking of going underneath or low through the cabinets to make the connection. That's a great idea that i wouldn't have though of.

Anyways, the dear wife (I dare not say DW as it could be construed as dishwasher) is patiently awaiting the install of the dishwasher since the current one isn't working so well :)

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
... i think the copper is in a place where the bosch plastic base is, and will not be able to come through properly.
The diagram from the bosch install instructions show a 4x3 inch space at the back of the dishwasher where the line can come through....
Wrong again. Hope this helps. First of all, the hole where the soft copper comes through the floor boards can be widened, cut, etc. So you can move it over to wherever is better. It's soft copper.

Secondly, the Bosch DW sits up on its three feet which raise the entire flat part of the base an inch or two above the floor.

In any case, slide it in and see. Stop reading and start trying things out in reality. Report back once you have roadtested the DW in its opening.

hab888

Reaction score
Wrong again. Hope this helps. First of all, the hole where the soft copper comes through the floor boards can be widened, cut, etc. So you can move it over to wherever is better. It's soft copper.

Secondly, the Bosch DW sits up on its three feet which raise the entire flat part of the base an inch or two above the floor.

In any case, slide it in and see. Stop reading and start trying things out in reality. Report back once you have roadtested the DW in its opening.

You're right, I am getting the Dishwasher tomorrow and will see how well this will work, the current soft copper has a compression nut that i have to play with before it sot leaks so I'll have to make sure it doesn't leak when I turn the water on , I'll see how it looks tomorrow

hab888

Reaction score
So I got the dishwasher
Had to extend the drain hose but did drill through the cabinets

Also had to move where the hot water was coming in because there was very little clearance under the bosch even after raising the feet

When I moved the soft copper I may have accidentally kinked it a very small bit.
Should I be concerned? I don't see any sort of hole at all as the bend. I haven't turned the water on to see if it'll leak. But if it doesn't leak now what's the potential it'll bust later on?

Anyways thanks for the advice and suggestions

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks