Discharge from Manganese Greensand filter

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by NC Boy, Nov 3, 2010.

1. NC Boy

NC Boy New Member

I'm considering installing a managanese greensand filter but would like some information on the discharge of the potassium permanganate solution from the backwash of the filter. What are the environmental effects of the discharge. Do I discharge to septic system, yard, or collect for disposal?
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Septic system/sewer but, a greensand filter is not a good choice due to having to use expensive and dangerous potassium permanganate. There are other choices just as good or better.
  3. biermech

biermech Previous member

I have seen the unit drain in a french drain, into the septic and on the ground. I feel the same as Gary, there are better ways the treat your water other than with potassium permanganate.
  4. NC Boy

NC Boy New Member

So what would be a better system. State lab results at 1.40 mg/l iron, 0.18 mg/l manganese, undetectable magnesium, 12.0 mg/l sulfate, and 17 mg/l calcium. Total Hardness 42 mg/l. Well is 195 feet deep with 10 gallons per minute yield and 33 feet of casing. Sulfate reducing bacteria negative. 5 gal/min flow rate. Problem is the staining of fixtures and cloths.
  5. biermech

biermech Previous member

I would recommend a chlorination system followed by a carbon filter. Not only do you sanitize the water, you also oxidize the iron and manganese then the carbon filter will remove them as well as the chlorine from the water.
  6. Gary Slusser

What is the pH?

What type and size well pump? (single line or two line jet or submersible and how deep if sub)
  7. NC Boy

NC Boy New Member

The pH is 7.1 How is the best way to tell what kind on pump and size? I don't see the pump when I remove the well cover.
  8. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Look for the pump controller, gray box with wires going and coming from it. There should be a label on it that says what size the pump is.
  9. NC Boy

NC Boy New Member

The orginal sample was checked by the State lab. I had the same concerns that you mentioned so a few weeks later, I pulled a sample at 7 am one mourning and checked at a local lab at 9am and pH was the same. I know the lab people who calibrate the meter so I feel the pH is correct.
  10. NC Boy

NC Boy New Member

I don't see a control panel. attached is a picture.

Attached Files:

11. biermech

biermech Previous member

The gray box may be where the pressure tank.
  12. Gary Slusser

Only 3 wire submersibles have a control box, 2 wire sub pumps do not have a control box.