Disassembling a flotec jet pump

Users who are viewing this thread

garliceggs

Reaction score
I've got a jet pump which is unable to build more than 18 PSI. There's a lot of sand going through this thing right now and I think the pump may need some cleaning.

I've decided to open up my pump and have a look inside to see if there's debris clogging things up. I undid the 4 bolts holding the two halves together and started to pull the thing apart, but something else is catching and it only separates about a 1/4 inch. I don't see any other latches, screws, etc.

I'm afraid that if I pry them apart, I'll break something. I downloaded the owners manual which does state that the pump may require disassembly in my case, but there's nothing about actually disassembling the pump.

Mine is an fp4022-08.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
If customers of mine have a flotec pump, I will not rebuild them.

I go with Sta-Rite or Meyers brand, a few others but not Flotec.

A customer of mine insisted on the cheapest submersible pump, bought a Flotec and sure enough, the plastic check valve seat cracked and wouldn't hold water for nothing.

And she put another flotec back in for reason of cost......

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I undid the 4 bolts holding the two halves together and started to pull the thing apart, but something else is catching and it only separates about a 1/4 inch. I don't see any other latches, screws, etc.

My guess is that a bearing on an end of the shaft needs a little encouragement to slip out of a housing half. However, if that is so and it slips out on the motor end, and that is likely, you might never get it back together once again.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If it's a Flotec, throw it away. If your pumping sand, the impeller is probably worn out. These pumps are built as throwaways and that's the best thing to do with one.

I suppose you took the four motor bolts loose instead of the bolts that hold the housing together. If that's the case you can't seperate it there until you remove the impeller which can only be removed after the housing is split. If you did take the right bolts out, use two screwdrivers to pry the two halves apart. They use an internal o-ring that gives some resistance.

I am like Rugged, I don't work on junk, so the above info is going way back to the first one I ever saw.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks