Disadvantage to Over-sized Softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aesir

Reaction score
I am planning to purchase a softener, and have been reading the various information regarding sizing, which seems to be more geared more toward ensuring one doesn't get a softener that is too small. But why not purposefully get one that is too big? It seems that everything I read indicates that it takes less salt to run a larger unit at lower capacity, but maybe I'm missing something.

I have a house with 2.5 bathrooms, and I may add 1.5 additional bathrooms. I also plan to add a large shower (maybe 2) with multiple body sprays, etc. There are only two people in the house, and the water district report shows an average of 11 grains of hardness per gallon, with a range of 3-16. I have a 1" copper loop in the garage where it could be installed.

I'm considering a Fleck 7000 system, and thought a 1.5 cubic foot / 48,000 grain system would be plenty; but why not just get a 2.0 cubic foot / 64,000 grain system? Is there a disadvantage? It doesn't really cost much more, and the additional space is negligible.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
There are many advantages to larger systems, and few disadvantages. Higher efficiencies, higher flow rates, higher quality water... Some may argue that a softener must regenerate at least once a week, yet I have never read that from any resin manufacturer. Most commercial companies recommend no less than every thirty days as long as water is flowing assuming no unusual water conditions are present. Iron, manganese, or other known foulants.

Even at 6 pounds per cu. ft., a 2 cu. ft. system would be calculated as follows.

20,000 grains per cu. ft. x 2 = 40,000 grains total capacity.

2 people x 60 gallons per person per day x 12 grains hardness = 1440 grains per day estimated usage.

40,000 / 1440 = 27 days between regenerations, - 1 days usage. That is about as often as my system regenerates, and has been doing for over a decade.

You could set the salt down to 4 pounds per cu. ft. and get the regeneration a little more frequent.

In my professional opinion, you will do just fine with a 2 cu. ft. 7000SXT unit. It would be my preference.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks