Disabled needs help

Users who are viewing this thread

captain

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am new to your board but love this site. I am disabled and trying to purchase a new toilet for my bathroom. The problem I'm having is finding one that not only provides a powerful flush but also one that has a really good "front of the bowl wash".

Being disabled I am not able to wash the bowl with a toilet brush and it appears that with a lot of the new models you pretty much have to get any solid waste pretty much directly in front of the jet hole to get it to dispose of it and not leave streaks or stains.

So far my son has installed 3 seperate toilets, all of which flush well, but only one so far has a fair bowl wash. The one that does have a fairly good wash is the Gerber Ultraflush but it is really loud and a little difficult for me to push down the lever sometimes. The other problem I have is that because of the width of my bathroom I need ADA height but not an elongated bowl if possible.

The others I've tried are the Gerber Avalanche and the Vitra Corona. Both have great flush but poor wash. I've read a lot about the Toto's and the Cadets as well as the Kohlers but it seems that they all have bowl wash problems or low water surface areas unless I'm missing something.

The toilet I currently have downstairs is a Vitra Atlantis which flushes well, has a great upper bowl wash with large water holes under the rim in the front of the bowl, but very low water surface area which allows for a real odor problem and is not ADA.

So there ya have it. I know my son is getting tired of swapping toilets so if anyone can give me some suggestions I'd appreciate it. Even considered the Jacuzzi brand which would match the pedestal but dont know about its worthiness.

Purchased a Eljer Titan last night as its suppose to have a higher water surface area but will wait to install until I hear form some of you guys.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

titan_front2.jpg

Eljer Titan

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets which is linked from the home page of this forum. I would suggest you look seriously at the Toto line. It would be wise for you to get one with the Sanigloss treatment. If Terry doesn't catch this post right away, you might email him. I would hesitate in recommending any particular model because of your special considerations, but Terry will give you factual data on the models that would best fit your needs.

captain

Reaction score
Eljer

Hey Gary,

Thanks for your reply. Tried the Eljer after not hearing from anyone and was surprised that while there's a pretty good bowl wash especially from the front, the bowl will not fill back up to the normal water spot unless you hold down the handle. It goes from a 9 x 11 spot to 7 1/2 x 8. The flapper drops really quickly and the toilet stopped up with only ten pieces of toilet paper in it. What a dissapointment.

Will see if Terry has any suggestions but what concerned me is that there are quite a few consumers who talk on this forum about lack of a good bowl wash with the Toto.

Thanks agian for your reply. I realize my problem is a unique problem so thanks for your bravery in responding. Seems like the poor bowl cleaning is not however unique.

Mike

Sofa King

Reaction score
I'll put my Guinevere up against ANY toilet, that's right ANY as it is the best toilet in the world...PERIOD! Double cyclone flush provides excellent bowl wash and am yet to stop it up. It is also the nicest looking toilet I've seen to date.

Sofa King Proud

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Nah, the Soiree is the best toilet you can get! MUCH better looking than the Guinevere!

Actually, either one would be my strong recommendation to you. They are essentially the same toilet with slightly different looks.

These two Toto models both have the double cyclone bowl wash, which really, really works. Also have a good-sized water spot so no special aiming ability is required! You can get the Sanigloss finish Gary mentioned on the Soiree (and I assume the Guinevere), which is a great idea esp. for your situation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should read the factory blurb on CEFIONTECT. Toto isn't the only one to make a similar product...many toilets sold overseas (especially in Japan) use similar glazes. The Germans have their own version on Duravit, and probably others. It really does make the surface smoother and stuff doesn't stick as easily - generally a quick brush dislodges anything that doesn't flush away.

Sofa King

Reaction score
I opted for the sanigloss finish on all my Guinevers all though some peeps on the board panned it, I have yet to clean them all though they have only been installed for bout a week and a half :)

Life's too short to have a crappy toilet
Sofa King

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks