Dirty water after installing new submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My former pump was in the basement. When it died, the plumber installed a submersible pump in the well of aprox. 120 ft. He said I should have more water pressure. I do not. He said the water would be dirty for a couple days. If I use a lot of water, (washing 4 loads of clothes or watering my garden) the water will become dirty. When the water would not come into the washing machine I called the plumber and he did not return my call. I had to have a service person come and unstop the strainer ...

https://terrylove.com/forums/member.php?47560-dixiesrebelrose

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the new pump produces more GPM than the old one, it is not unusual for it to stir up mud. When I had my well put in, the driller did not properly develop the well. All he did was to pump it at 5 GPM to satisfy the mortgage company report. After I got the house built, I put in a 10 GPM pump and it immediately drew mud. The mud damaged the pump.

Long story short... I developed the well so it would produce more GPM by overpumping it until it ran clear. Then I put in a new 10 GPM pump and it has run clear with it ever since.

A submersible pump is capable of producing more pressure if sized accordingly. Of course, the pump will only produce as much pressure as the pressure switch is set to. If there are any in-line filters, the flow restriction may give you poor pressure at the hose bib despite there being good pressure at the pump.

Last edited:

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
i hear alot of these stories when your average plumber attempts well and pump work. funny you never hear stories of a pump/well company doing a poor job fixing a broken toilet..

LLigetfa pretty much covered it, your new pump likely outproduces your old one so you are seeing trash, not to mention all the stirring up in the well casing from the new sub install. the more water u run... the quicker is *should* clear up. assuming the well is outside, what he should have done was let the pump run on the ground for a while until it cleared up before hooking it back to the main line. if the well is in the basement thats harder to do, but it can still be done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks