Direct vented vs power vented water heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

djwins

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a 10-year-old gas direct vented 50 gallon water heater that I am going to replace. It is not
leaking yet, but after going through my basement flooding from a malfunction of my sump pump, I don't want to take any chances with it. I found out that the old one is not up to code anymore. So in order to replace it, I have to get a chimney liner ($1500). The other option is to install a new power vent gas water heater which actually ends up being about $400 cheaper (because of not having to install the chimney liner) and has a $500 rebate. So my question is : Is it just about which one is cheaper or are there other factors which would make
installing the direct vented one a better option.

Any opinions on which is a better water heater: AO Smith or Bradford White?

Thanks so much!
Donna

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I eliminated the chimney and went with the power vent. My furnace also vents out the side of the house. The power vent is noisy at the side of the house. Bradford White in a heart beat although I have a Rheem that I like.

djwins

Reaction score
I eliminated the chimney and went with the power vent. My furnace also vents out the side of the house. The power vent is noisy at the side of the house. Bradford White in a heart beat although I have a Rheem that I like.

Thank you Gary!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As you tighten up your home, using a direct vent (closed combustion) gas device makes lots more sense than any version that draws combustion air from the inside of the house. A direct vent system draws its combustion air in directly from the outside verses pulling it through cracks in the house. This brings in outside, unconditioned air along with any humidity or lack of it. Much better to let the device pull it in through its own dedicated pipe.

Many direct vented devices can be vented out horizontally, and do not need to go up a chimney. Being able to close off the chimney, if your existing device is the only thing using it also will help seal the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks