direct-vent gas-fired water heater inspection.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by canton, Mar 5, 2006.

1. canton

canton Plumber

I'm about to install a new direct vent gas-fired water heater. I'm essentially replacing the old chimney vented which is in a crawl space, this will be in the laundry area and vent out the back of the house 2' from ground. I will also have to run a gas line and water lines about 8' from the old line. What will my inspector be inspecting, and are they're any test involved? In Mass.
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

You need to check on local codes as to how far you need to be from windows, doors, ect.
  3. canton

canton Plumber

As far as the window's go, you can't be under and have to be at least 2' away. They also require you to have your vent 2' from the ground, I'm going at least 3' due to snow drifts here in the Northeast. I'm just wondering if I'll have to do a gas test from the point of connection, and for the water I'm wondering the same thing.
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Gas yes, water I don't know about out there. I am from Littleton, MA but have been in Ohio for quite a while. Things have changed a lot since I left.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

wh

here, you have to have a permit and inspection for almost any revision to a gas line.