Dilema with well location

Users who are viewing this thread

Brent Clark

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to the forums, and a new homeowner as well. I recently purchased a small 1,234 sq-ft ranch house built on a slab, single level. So the house isn't huge by any means.

My problem is the location of the well. First off, the well pump and pressure tank are located 5 feet underground... smack dab in the middle of the "driveway". I use quotes because it isn't paved - just dirt - but it's where the driveway would and should be, and hopefully will be.

Basically, the well is a submersible type (how deep I have no idea) and in this underground "pumphouse" lives the pressure tank, pump switch, and pressure gauge. I want to redo how this has been setup because quite frankly, it's a mess. It's literally a hole in the ground with cinder blocks as the walls, and a 4x4 piece of plywood covering it.

I'm trying to figure out how to tackle this. I know modern wells have the casing above ground due to sanitary reasons, but I wouldn't be able to do that with this as it would interfere with the driveway I would like to pave. I've attached a crude drawing of the setup. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Brent

Attachments

• WELL.jpg
    WELL.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 211

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I know you don't like LLigetfa's suggestion but it maybe your only option. You can move the pressure tank and pressure switch to a different location, but it will still be hard to seal the well. You would need a sealed but vented vault. And that may not even be possible depending on where you live. Most states do not allow well casing to terminate under the ground surface.

It is hard to keep contamination from getting into a well when the casing is below grade. During a hard rain if water gets over the casing the well will work like a drain. Rain sounds clean but it takes the dog crap, motor oil, pesticides, etc., down the well with it.

Maybe you can get a car with high clearance like a Hummer or a Monster Truck. :)

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wells in driveways are a huge no no here on Ct, then add that your well is in a concrete bock vault... You wouldn't want to drive or park your car on it...

I agree with the the other opinions, properly plug and abandon the well and have a new well drilled.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another good way is to have the casing extended above ground, install a pitless adapter, and relocate the driveway. Figure maybe US$1500 to $2500 budgetary. Make sure nobody can drive into the new extended casing -- possibly by installing some new structures. Do not drive over the septic field either.

The price of a new well would be a lot more. But then you would have more freedom with the driveway... maybe that's worth an extra $8000 (wild guess not knowing local conditions) or so to you.

I am not a pro, but I did have my casing extended, pit demolished and a pitless installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks