Digital Thermostat Question

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Verdeboy, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

After turning the power off and then back on, the digital swamp cooler thermostat started blinking. There is a hole marked "reset," with a recessed button, that I pressed and held, repeatedly with the little rod that came with the unit. No luck.

Finally, I decided to to try to remove the cover and replace the battery. Couldn't pry off the cover! Tried screwdrivers, pocket knives. I'm sure there must be a way to remove this cover, but I didn't want to break the damn thing.

BTW, it's a 2 yo unit, and they no longer have the instruction booklet.

It's a "Dial" brand thermostat.

It's not urgent, cuz it's still snowing here, but if anyone has ever dealt with this brand of thermostat, I'm open to suggestions.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  2. Nubbin

Nubbin New Member

hint

look for a screw driver blade size slot, that helps me to find the 'pressure point'.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

There's a couple of those, but as I mentioned, the cover wouldn't pop open and was about to crack, so I eased up pressure.

I'm thinking of pulverizing it with a channel locks and just replacing it. LOL
  4. Nubbin

Nubbin New Member

I know the feeling :confused:. I have not seen one of those, but residential tstats come out with a new model each year and box stores can buy brands I have never heard of. Some weeks it is pure guess work on opening tstats :eek:
    Good luck
  5. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Thanks. Any idea why pressing the "reset" button won't reset the damn thing?

:mad: It just keeps on blinking. :mad:
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some of them have battery backups...the batteries could be dead.
  7. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

I'm pretty sure that all digital thermometers have batteries--not as a back-up--but to display the temp settings.

That's why I was trying to get the cover off in the first place--to replace the battery.
  8. micp879

micp879 New Member

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  9. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Hey, thanks for those links. I spent an hour trying to find them but gave up cuz "Dial" is such a common word, and I wasn't getting anywhere.

Thanks again!