digging out 4 inch drain

Users who are viewing this thread

drew53813

Reaction score
From my bathrooms to the front of the house is a good 25 ft run. I am planning on replacing all my old metal and cast iron pipe with ABS. In order to expose this 25 ft section I will need to dig down approx. 2 feet at the deepest point. I have a few questions:

1. what are the dangers of digging out sections of pipe under the house in the crawl space. I have heard (although its rare) of houses caving in from this
2. can I use an air chisel or some kind of pneumatic digging tool to speed up the process.
3. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks- Andrew

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. Practically zero. IF you have hear of houses collapsing they are apocryphal stories repeated by someone who heard it from his brother who heard it from a guy in the bar, who heard it from his wife after someone in the beauty parlor told her it happened to them.
2. That is how I would do it, unless I hired a couple of illegals to do it.
3.Two feet "at its deepest point" is a very shallow sewer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks