Digging a trench for a sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
The system will work assuming the pipe is laid with uniform slope on a bed that will not sag. You have to use 4" as code (UPC) dictates that anything under 4" must be 1/4 inch per foot. The reason behind the required slope is to achieve a 2 ft/ sec velocity which is the optimum velocity for the water scrubbing the walls of the pipe.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The system will work assuming the pipe is laid with uniform slope on a bed that will not sag ...
Yes, very critical ... and that is why I had mentioned stretching a string along the top of the pipe to be sure it is "straight" (flat in a single plane, and with no sags or "bellies") after being properly bedded and prior to being covered up.

Does it matter which end I start laying the pipes? In other words is it easier to run the pipes from high to low or low to high?
I would begin at the house and then do whatever it takes to get a proper connection at the tank. If the job was being done with thin-wall pipe that already had a bell on one end, I would begin with a nipple at the house and then the bell end of the first piece of pipe to make joints "smoother" along the way (with flow going into a bell rather than hitting the end of the next piece of pipe). However, you need to be using Sch40 here, and that does not come with a belled end as far as I know.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks