Difficult to turn shower handle

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by cma, May 30, 2008.

1. cma

cma New Member

The handle I turn to switch from tub fill to shower was getting difficult to turn. Over time it reached the point where it would take 2 hands to turn it. Now it's so hard to turn that even two hands won't do it. Do I have to replace it? What would cause this problem?

THANKS,
    Connie
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

What is your make and model? Maybe a picture? There will be a cartidge inside which can be replaced.
  3. cma

cma New Member

Hard to Turn Shower Handle

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for your reply. I looked on it and there doesn't appear to be a manufacture's name.

It was a replacement unit (all three controls) by ex-husb years ago and I think I recall that it's a Moen. I'm hoping that becoming hard to turn is a common problem with a common, easy solution. I may still have the instal instructions in my files and will look for them this evening.

THANKS
    CMA
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

A picture may be necessary. I do not know of a Moen that had a rotating diverter, but the problem was common to all brass sleeve type diverters, which Moen also did not use.