Difficult to remove Tub Basket

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by SKG, Dec 12, 2009.

1. SKG

SKG DIY Junior Member

Hi,

I am trying to remove my tub basket using a tub basket wrench. I have applied a significant amount of pressure to the wrench and the tub basket has not budged.

I am wondering....

How much force is it safe to use on the wrench? Can I hammer it? Should I use some liquid wrench or something on the basket?

Of course, I do not want to damage the shoe underneath as I don't really want to rip out the whole tub to deal with some minor slow-flow issues.

For what it's worth, I doubt this tub basket has ever been removed before and this is 1978 construction. Also, the drain line drops a couple of inches and then makes a 90 degree turn to the horizontal and heads out of the tub towards the supply line.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

~Sid

If the drain looks like the one below, you may need to pull the "shoe" out with a wire coat hanger.

I snake from the upper overflow, but the linkage and the stopper need to be pulled out first.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

pls. post a pic. of the wrench you are using and what you are using for leverage.
  3. SKG

SKG DIY Junior Member

Here are the pictures you requested.

Thanks for you assistance.

SKG

Attached Files:

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That should come out with those tools.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Nice pics. Since the cross bars in the bottom of the flange have not broken out, you are not using too much torque!
  6. SKG

SKG DIY Junior Member

Thanks Guys, I will give it another try.

SKG
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

basket

At that age, the pipe is probably brass. Therefore, do NOT use excessive force or you WILL snap the thread off and have to change the drain somehow, although it probably would not require removing the tub. IF it does not come out with moderate force, you will have to cut it out, and since that process could damage the tub, you might want to call a plumber who has done it many times without creating problems.