different tile thickness' what to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I am about to set limestone in my bathroom, we have stone narrowed our selection to a .1/2 thick(18" square).
The master bath walkway ends into a entry way off the bedroom which has porcelin approx 3/8".
I am concerned on how to meet the two tiles. Were thinking at some time later int he year we will rip out this section of tile and replace with carpet which we can contol the height due to a pad.
So for the time being, is there a threshold to transition this 1/8" difference.
Or do I have the tile beveled,etc.

thanks
Chris

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hopefully you realize that a stone tile install needs twice the structural strength of a ceramic one (L/720 verses L/360) AND requires a double layer of plywood. This assumes it is on a subfloor, not a slab.

An 1/8" is usually not a problem, either. Limestone is soft enough that you could just grind down the edge to keep it from being sharp.

Have you checked out www.johnbridge.com?

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Ditra??

its a slab.
I have 9 page running thread over there at JB but seems my thread isnt drawing much attention. Chris's extravaganza...

Another topic is using Ditra. Being its a slab with a foundation poured in 1994the slab is settled. I have a few small cracks one more noticeable out near the exterior 1/8" wide or less.
So how critical is it to use Ditra for my master bath, I hear both schools of thought on this, nothing to sway me to either direction?

Chris

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Thought the name was familiar...

If you are worried about moisture...put in Ditra. If the cracks are different in elevation, rethink tiling at all. Otherwise, you'll need at least a crack isolation membrane over the crack. Depending on the brand and type you use, would dictate how big of a swath you need...follow their instructions.

Ditra will isolate the floor from moisture if you seal the seams with Kerdiband or strips of Kerdi. The channels allow the slab to still breath while keeping the moisture from the tiled surface. If there is one crack, there could be others, so a membrane is cheap insurance.

If you add a comment to the string, it bumps it back to the top which sometimes helps.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Thanks Jim,

The crack i mention is the only large crack. there are a few other samll hairline cracks but not many. The tile I ripped up was placed directly on the slab and before I replied out I didnt notice any grout cracks, etc.
This larger crack I mentioned is coming off where i jack hammerd out for the new tub drain location, it was there before I started and believe it increase in width- its about 18" long and ends at the exterior wall sole plate.

So i am not sure if Ditra is need for all 130 sq ft maybe this area only??
I am located in AZ and dotn have the temp extremes elsewhere if this matters.

Chris

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Ditra is a good insurance policy. If it didn't have any cracks, I'd consider forgoing it, but, if you mail-order the stuff, or can find it where they'll cut you part of a roll and not leave you with a bunch of unused material, it isn't too bad. HD sells it in smaller rolls, but the cost is higher than you can get elsewhere (but it's handy).

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Jim,

I have been looking at Tile Experts for short pieces, but concerened with thickness differences where I had it and didnt have it.
Whats your thoughts on RedGuard or this crack buster pad from Custom?

In regards to Custom, have you used Speed Finish for filling low areas? I have several of these but read over at JB that thinset will do too? Some of these chip outs are 1/4 deep in areas.

thanks
Chris

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Noble has some crack isolation membranes. From what I hear (you should check the installation instructions), you use it about 10" or so either side of the crack. Thinset will work fine to fill small areas if it is less than 1/4". Not having the same height does make it a little harder to get the floor flat, but doable. Ditra would provide the isolation and keep the height even all over. Redgard might work..it's rated for it, but I've not had experience with it. You must ensure you get the proper thickness of it, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks