Different Solar Water Heater Options

Users who are viewing this thread

protech

Master plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.protechplumbing.biz
I install AET almost exclusively. I can vouch for their product. I have serviced many systems with AET panels that were far older than a decade and those panels were still cranking out heat.

ARSolar

Reaction score
I install AET almost exclusively. I can vouch for their product. I have serviced many systems with AET panels that were far older than a decade and those panels were still cranking out heat.

Good to see someone working in the solar thermal industry! What is your preference, drainback or glycol systems?

Do you have any opinions of the new Heliodyne Helio-Pak closed loop glycol systems using AC Wilo pumps?

Thanks,
AR

Stevenc

Reaction score
Solar heater options -

Just a question here - sounds like there are space constraint issues with the tank and then the conventional water heater also. The question is - why not get the oversized tank to meet your needs and hold the solar heater water and add a tankless water heater to address the additional heat needed on the cloudly days?

Steven

Alphacarina

Reaction score
I've had a 4 X 10 AET panel on my roof for about 4 years and I can also vouch for their quality and efficiency - VERY good product. I paid a little less than $1,000 for mine from a local dealer

For tankage, I used two conventional Sears Best 55 gallon electric water heaters - 3 inches of polyfoam insulation in them. The outside metal skin on them remains cold to the touch (they're in the garage) even when they're both full of 160 degree water

My system is a direct one also and the only electricity I have applied is a single connection to the upper element in the tank which directly feeds to the house and that is through a timer so it is only on for about 45 minutes in the early morning just before we take our showers. The electric power to the timer is only switched on for 2 or 3 months in the winter - Other than those few months, all the electricity is shut off and solar supplies 100% our hot water needs for 9 or 10 months in a row - We live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I *do* have to drain my system a couple of times each winter when we get a hard freeze . . . . If I neglect to drain the panel, it's no big deal as my controller protects it from freezing by circulating some of my hot water though the panel overnight . . . . but then I have little or no solar hot water left come morning

The AET factory representative told me that 110 gallons of tankage was 'oversize' for a single 40 sq ft panel . . . . but the proof is in the pudding as they say. Assuming you have very well insulated tankage (so you aren't losing a significant about of heat overnight) the large, 'oversized' tankage is actually more efficient since you are storing up excess heated water from day to day . . . . which sure comes in handy when you have a cloudy day

My wife and I built and installed the system ourselves and we've been very happy with it over the 3 1/2 to 4 years we've had it - With the variuous rebates, it's already paid for itself and now we have essentially 'free' hot water for life

Don

Last edited:

protech

Master plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.protechplumbing.biz
I'm surprised that you haven't had the collector freeze. I don't work that far north but the general consensus among solar professionals is that you are to far north for a direct low mass system. Do you manually drain the collector down in a freeze event? I wouldn't trust an Eaton freeze valve that far north.

Alphacarina

Reaction score
Yes, I manuallly drain it whenever we have sub 30 degree temps forecasted for overnight . . . . 5 or 6 times last year - I close two ball valves in the basement at the water heaters (on the two lines going up to the collector) and then open two valve and that drains both lines - There's an air vent at the top of the collector. The collector and the piping going to it only hold a couple of gallons total

My controller will recirculate water through the collector every few minutes when it detects freezing temps if I don't drain it . . . . but that wastes lots of warm water. If there's any danger of freezing and we're going to be out of town, we just leave it drained

An indirect gycol system would be slightly less hassle, but it would have cost us 2X more and it's not as efficient as the system we have . . . . and it works well for us. No regrets

Don

Reaction score
I'm surprised that you haven't had the collector freeze. I don't work that far north but the general consensus among solar professionals is that you are to far north for a direct low mass system. Do you manually drain the collector down in a freeze event? I wouldn't trust an Eaton freeze valve that far north.

Since when is Biloxi "that far north". Heck, it's difficult to get much farther south than that without getting wet...

Angelb

Reaction score
Are you just in need for a water heater or to maintain your water warm or are you planning to keep your whole house warm? Those person who offered installation how much is their price range? and do they offer any assurance after the installation if something will go wrong?

I saw this photo in the net this is how sungrabber looks like :
SG-Slide12.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks