Different shower pan. What's the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
I'm just getting started with my shower reno. I planning my reno and I am going with a shower pan vs a tiled shower floor. I was wondering if anyone has has go to shower pan? Are any pan designs bet than others? Thanks.

Reaction score
A molded shower pan is basically going to have a lifespan based on how much service it gets. I've seen them fail in as little as 5 years.

They are popular for "man cave" basement renos, where it will only be used sparingly.

Shower pans do vary by composite (acrylic, fiberglass), some are built better than others.

But in the end they will succumb to age. Aside from the discoloration they all get, they usually start to crack and fracture at around 10-15 years, a ceiling lifespan of 20-25 years if you are really lucky.

A quality tiled shower with 100% waterproof materials can last 75 years, or more.

One example of a good shower tray is the Schluter-KERDI-SHOWER-ST.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
KOHLER Salient, Bellwether and Purist are cast iron. Those have to be really durable and leak-proof.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can have a solid surface material like Corian(TM) made into a shower pan, but they can also discolor or get scratched over time. AN advantage is, though, that it could be buffed back to original condition. The finish on it, though, might end up a bit slippery, and if you get it textured, harder to clean or refurbish.

I'll second considering a surface applied membrane, or maybe something like Wedi to make a shower. Materials-wise, maybe a little more expensive, but if you're having it done, the time savings can offset most, if not all of it. The biggest thing to watch on any premade pan you might install is to get it installed level. The floor rarely is, so you have to deal with that in the process. That often includes using some deck mud to prop things up and level things, which also helps to stabilize the less expensive, more flexible units and helps prevent the stress cracks caused by movement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks