Difference between Water cleanout and Sewer Cleanout (front yard)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mikael72599, Jun 6, 2013.

1. mikael72599

mikael72599 New Member

This is my first time in this forum. I have a question about identifying the sewer cleanout in my front yard. The only thing i found was one cleanout cap next to a Fire Hydrant with the words "WATER" inscribed on it. Is this the sewer cleanout? I need to know because i plan to start a carpet cleaning business and i was told i need to use only the "SEWER" cleanout to not get in trouble. My home was built in 1969. See pics of cleanout.

Attached Files:

2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

That's a valve box for a water line. It looks like it's for the fire hydrant.

John
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

"cleanout"

That is the shut off valve for the fire hydrant, and that small thing next to it could be the shutoff valve for your house. Your sewer cleanouts will be near the house where the drain line comes out from the wall. Landscapers have seem to hate them so they bury them whenever they can and then you need a pipe locator or video system to find where the are located so you can uncover them.
  4. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

For all the people you ever notice in the movies where someone runs into a fire hydrant and there is a big geyser of water, that is called a watch valve for turning off that fire hydrant without shutting down the whole water main on that street
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hydrant

quote; For all the people you ever notice in the movies where someone runs into a fire hydrant and there is a big geyser of water, And since most modern hydrants have the valve at the bottom of the barrel, it normally doesn't happen anywhere except in the movies.