Difference between Water cleanout and Sewer Cleanout (front yard)

Users who are viewing this thread

mikael72599

Reaction score
This is my first time in this forum. I have a question about identifying the sewer cleanout in my front yard. The only thing i found was one cleanout cap next to a Fire Hydrant with the words "WATER" inscribed on it. Is this the sewer cleanout? I need to know because i plan to start a carpet cleaning business and i was told i need to use only the "SEWER" cleanout to not get in trouble. My home was built in 1969. See pics of cleanout.

Attachments

• DSC_1423.jpg
    DSC_1423.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 3,949
  • DSC_1425.jpg
    DSC_1425.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,512

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That's a valve box for a water line. It looks like it's for the fire hydrant.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"cleanout"

That is the shut off valve for the fire hydrant, and that small thing next to it could be the shutoff valve for your house. Your sewer cleanouts will be near the house where the drain line comes out from the wall. Landscapers have seem to hate them so they bury them whenever they can and then you need a pipe locator or video system to find where the are located so you can uncover them.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
For all the people you ever notice in the movies where someone runs into a fire hydrant and there is a big geyser of water, that is called a watch valve for turning off that fire hydrant without shutting down the whole water main on that street

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hydrant

quote; For all the people you ever notice in the movies where someone runs into a fire hydrant and there is a big geyser of water, And since most modern hydrants have the valve at the bottom of the barrel, it normally doesn't happen anywhere except in the movies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks