Difference between soft gas copper and domestic soft?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I was curious about this when I read your post - I did find this:

Copper (GAS transport)

• Should be type L (green) or K (blue) when used to transport gas
  • Use M (red)-rated copper for indoor gas distribution
  • Not recommended for use with natural gas in some areas as sulfur content can
    cause interior flaking
  • Soft copper is used for gas applications and is joined using compression
    couplers or a flare joint
Copper (Water Supply Lines)

• May be used with hot or cold water
  • Lightweight and durable
  • Fits easily in tight places
  • Available in 10 or 20-foot lengths in diameters of ½-inch to 2-inches
  • Use M (red) and L (blue) rated copper pipe for water service and distribution
  • Use M (red)-rated copper for indoor water distribution
  • Hard copper is used for water applications and is joined by soldering, brazing,
    a compression coupler
Also this: pdf http://www.copper.org/applications/fuelgas/pdf/Official_Copper.pdf which explains that L and K type copper is measured using inside dimensions whereas type ACR copper is measured using outside dimensions (page 6).

I don't know if this is true or not - but I assume that soft copper comes in a "roll" and hard copper comes in a "length of pipe".

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As a convention, ACR users specify by the o.d. and plumbing by the i.d., but the tubings are the same sizes,AND MATERIALS. Gas should NOT be connected with "compression" joints, because there is too much likelihood that a movement will cause a leak, and unlike a water leak, you will NOT see a gas leak. You also CANNOT "solder" gas lines they either have to be brazed or flared.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
They are made basically the same way but the softer gas pipes go through an annealing process. In this process the pipes are heated till they are glowing and then cooled. This is an extra step in the manufacturing process and the price is higher. The annealed pipes can be easily bent or flared
http://www.geeksonhome.com/info_12123555_hard-copper-pipe-vs-flexible-copper.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_tubing

More About Copper Tubing

Copper is utilized in heating systems, underground water service, and water distribution systems. Copper tubing is economical, formable, and lightweight. It also bonds easily to solder. These characteristics account for its use as the most common material in residential water supply lines.

There are two basic kinds of copper pipe: hard/rigid (tempered) and soft (annealed). Hard copper is available in straight lengths while soft copper is easily bended and available in coils. Copper pipe is available in several basic types including: Type K, Type L, Type M, and Refrigeration pipe.

Type M Copper Tubing

Type M copper is a thin walled copper pipe commonly used in domestic water applications. We carry Type M copper in hard straight lengths and soft coils. We offer Type M copper straight lengths in sizes from 1/2" to 2" in diameter and 1 to 4 ft. in length. We also offer 1/4" to 2" diameter coils of 60 and 100 ft. lengths.

Type L Copper Tubing

Type L copper is a medium walled copper pipe and commonly used for water services inside and out. Type L copper is particularly used outside or wherever the pipe will be exposed. We offer Type L copper in straight lengths in sizes from 1/2" to 2" in diameter and 1 to 4 ft. in length.

Type K Copper Tubing

Type K copper is the thickest type of copper tubing sold on our website. This pipe is generally used between water mains and the meter. It is also commonly utilized for heavy-duty vacuum pump lines and underground lines. Type K copper is available in 1/4" to 2" diameter coils of 60 and 100 ft. lengths.

Refrigeration Soft Copper Tubing

Copper refrigeration tubing is soft copper tubing used for various applications, such as heater units, heater lines, gas lines, oil burner tubes, air conditioner lines, and plumbing applications. Refrigeration tubing is available in 1/8" to 1-5/8" OD coils of 50' and 100' lengths.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks