Dielectric unions

Discussion in 'Plumbing Code Questions' started by Dirk99, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Dirk99

Dirk99 New Member

Hi,

Just had an inspector not pass a water heater because the cold water inlet has a 3/4" threaded brass ball valve on a 3/4" galvanized pipe stub out of the wall. The house is plumbed in Galv. He stated that a dielectric union was required in between the galv. & the brass valve. 2010 California plumbing code does say "dielectric unions shall be used at all points of connection where there is a dissimilarity of metals". So I guess it's letter of the law but has anyone ever done this or heard of anyone requiring this? And I'd love to know a what he wants to do at every brass hose bib & brass angle stop!?

Thanks

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I'm in Washington State, but I have never heard of the plumbing code being interpreted that way.
    You must have at least 21 galvanized to brass connections in your home.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Dirk99

Dirk99 New Member

Thanks for the reply Terry. I too am a plumbing contractor & have installed a ton of water heaters but this is a first. I have contacted the building department to get more info from the senior inspector, waiting for his answer. California is not fun :(

5. Terry

Plumber
    I think we need a photo of the install, and the name of the senior inspector. :)

6. Dirk99

Dirk99 New Member

2 hours after an email to the senior inspector requesting clarification the job site inspector called with a sudden change of heart on the matter. Other than an upset client, upset general contractor, loony inspector & a confused plumber (me) were back in business.

7. Terry

Plumber
    Thanks for the update. That makes me feel a lot better. I was worried that everything plumbers have done for the last 150 years was wrong.