Dielectric between black pipe and copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

sieg01

Reaction score
I have hydronic heating. The boiler has black pipe coming out of it. Do I need some kind of dielectric between that and my copper pipe?

I was also noticing that the flange on my pump is cast iron and I was going to connected it to the copper. Do I need some isolation there (like put a bronze valve)?

Thanks!

calsplumbing

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.calsplumbingonline.com
Yes, you will need a di-electric between those different metals if you are to combat electrolysis at this point. Your flanged connections at the pump may have some protection built in but additional protection is not a bad idea.
Good Luck to you. calsplumbingonline.com

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've been transitioning from cast to copper on boilers for years with no dielectric union and never had an electroloysis problem. Are you saying that when you pipe copper off a Cast iron boiler you use a dielectric union?

sieg01

Reaction score
Yeah I had heard it both ways. I had done a bunch of searching and I never could find any definitive data.

Right now I am thinking of just hooking the copper straight up to the boiler. I didn't really like the idea of using one of those dielectric unions either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks