Didn't know there are different types of tub spout connections

Users who are viewing this thread

M_N_A

Reaction score
Our contractor didn't ask or inform us the difference and just put in the thin copper pipe, but the spout we bought needs 1/2" NPT male nipple.

We bought the fixture too long ago. can't return

The tile is already in. We are thinking of opening up a patch from the next room. thanks god it's a closet! but is there any way to change the connection easily? is there some sort of adaptor/converter?
S.O.S. tub spout connection mismatch!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is NOT a "tub spout connection mismatch". That is both a common way to do it and an easy fix. You get a male thread copper adapter. Figure out where it goes, cut the tubing, and solder it on. Then apply a thread sealant and screw the spout on. It is when they give you an "iron pipe" connection and you need a slip copper one that you have a problem.

Reactions: SHR

Nikita

Reaction score
It is NOT a "tub spout connection mismatch". That is both a common way to do it and an easy fix. You get a male thread copper adapter. Figure out where it goes, cut the tubing, and solder it on. Then apply a thread sealant and screw the spout on. It is when they give you an "iron pipe" connection and you need a slip copper one that you have a problem.

Facing the same situation - slip-fit copper pipe; 1/2" NPT diverter spout. Does it matter whether the MPT adapter is copper or brass? FWIW, the female fitting in the diverter is brass....

thanks
-nikita

SHR

Reaction score
Facing the same situation - slip-fit copper pipe; 1/2" NPT diverter spout. Does it matter whether the MPT adapter is copper or brass? FWIW, the female fitting in the diverter is brass....

thanks
-nikita

What brand of faucets did these diverter spouts come with? It is important.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What brand of faucets did these diverter spouts come with? It is important

That is the LEAST important information they need to give because it has absolutely no bearing on HOW to connect the spout.

SHR

Reaction score
quote; What brand of faucets did these diverter spouts come with? It is important

That is the LEAST important information they need to give because it has absolutely no bearing on HOW to connect the spout.

Think about what you said. I know you regularly install tub/shower faucets. The standard Delta tub spout comes with the brass adapter which we always solder on. But when the spout is inspected by someone who knows nothing about tub spouts the BRASS adapter presents 1/2" female threads. I think at least one of the posters is mistaken about how to attach the spout they have. Delta is the only brand I deal with which uses a BRASS female thread. Every other brand I deal with seems to use a pot metal looking pipe thread. THUS THE BRAND COULD MATTER.

If the BRAND is Delta, the poster(s) has/have the perfect tub spout already.

delta_tub_spout_a1.jpg

The Delta brass adapter

delta_tub_spout_a2.jpg

With the spout spun on.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Every other brand I deal with seems to use a pot metal looking pipe thread

Except the ones with a slip on spout, but that is germain to the spout, NOT the manufacturer. There are ways to make their spout fit, or they can buy a different spout which uses that type of connection, or buy a Delta spout which works on both ips and copper stubs.

SHR

Reaction score
Except the ones with a slip on spout, but that is germain to the spout, NOT the manufacturer.

Of course. Also, I recently installed a Delta tub diverter spout that was slip on only. I wish manufacturers would pick a style and stick with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks