Didn't know about pipe dope, now what?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rafigso, Jan 9, 2013.

1. rafigso

rafigso New Member

I have 2 shower valves and one of them has a one drop at a time leak from the threads. I used Teflon and no dope. I would have used the dope if I had known about it. Short of cutting out the valve and reconnecting everything, is there a sealant I can put around the outside of the threads to seal this drop by drop leak?

Thanks in advance,
    Rafael
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

No. There is nothing that will seal from the outside.
    You will have to cut and redo the joint. It may be that it just wasn't tight enough.
    Options are:

Tape
    Dope
    Tape and dope

I would normally just use dope. I don't really like getting too much heat near a joint with tape.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

No, removing it and redoing the leaking fitting is the correct method of repair. I prefer solder/sweating valves in place for this reason.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I think the best way to do this is to sweat the male adapter to the copper pipe before screwing the adapter into the shower valve. Additional soldering can be done to complete the installation without getting the valve too hot.
  5. rafigso

rafigso New Member

Thank for the quick reply, took everything out and used the dope, everything is good now.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I never use tape on metal threads, only for PVC.
  7. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I have never used tape in my life for anything except wrapping presents
  8. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Pipe dope is illegal in Texas.
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

But not in Washington or Colorado!

Doesn't help me any though. I like micro beers. I don't put anything in my body that won't wash out in 24 hours.
    THC has a half life of 28 days.
  10. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

There is nothing better than a Beer after a hard days work.

Well, maybe a cigarette after you lay a bunch of pipe, that may come close.