did my contractor use the proper water pipe for my icemaker

Users who are viewing this thread

CeeJay

Reaction score
My frige with and icemaker was installed 4 years ago the contractor used a water pipe as an extention. The space was very tight and the pipe which was pinched leaked twice. The last time it leaked I was away and it caused major damage. Since I had a warranty I thought GE was responsible but they told me the plumber should have secured the pipe better. When I called the contractor he said he installed the pipe according to instructions and he was not responsible. I was at home depot and I saw the kit made esp. for icemakers it was not the same as the pipe he used. Is the contractor liable?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
There a many types of pipe that are used for connecting ice makers. Unless you specified what you wanted to him to use or the pipe he used is not permitted by code he is not responsible. It sounds like he used copper. PEX or braided line would have been a better choice.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are many ways of connecting an icemaker.
1/4" OD soft copper
PEX
Stainless braided

The instructions may only show one way of doing it, but there are many ways.
Do you have any pictures?

Many of the places that sell appliances will deliver, but they won't make the final connection for the water.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
installed correctly copper tubing or pex would both be equally good choices that will last indefinately. Braided lines are ok but will fail before the copper or pex will as it is only a plastic line inside steel braiding. Kinking considerably shortens the life span of any piping.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I used soft copper. The key to these is to use enough so you don't stress the tubing when moving the frig in or out. I've got a loop about 5' in diameter behind mine.

CeeJay

Reaction score
thanks for your advise. He used a polyurethane pipe, he explained copper was not the best choice The kit I saw had the braided pipe with a shut-off feature to avoid leaks and it said it was for icemakers. Thats why I thought he might have used the wrong pipe. I think I might have to eat this one. I think he did not used the best judgement considering the tight space and careless way the connection was done

Chefwong

Reaction score
Braided lines are no good ..... ?

I've got hard copper going back to a recessed shutoff to the cabinet right next to the fridge.
To the fridge is a braided on mine.
I've got braided on alot of the sinks around the house.
Sorry to go OT, but I'd like to hear more on why braided lines are a no-no

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks