did i screw the pooch? (painting problem)

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by number1hag, Mar 20, 2008.

1. number1hag

number1hag New Member

i am close to the end of a complete rebuild of the wifes bathroom. i was doing some caulking and not paying attention and used silicone caulking. what can i use (paint wise) to cover this? it seems whatever i put on it just beads off. is there anything i can do other than removing all the caulk? boy, i hope it does'nt come down to that. thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

As a rule, 100% silicone is not paintable. Check with GE, or a good paint store. The only thing I could think of to try is to see if an oil based primer would stick to it.
  3. shag_fu

shag_fu New Member

Try recaulking with a paintable caulk. I recently grabbed a clear caulk(was in the wrong bin, go figger) that wouldn paint and put a white over top and it seamed to work ok. Not sure if the 100%sil will have an effect an the new stuff sticking or not. If that doesnt work then maybe you will have to remove the other stuff.
  4. statjunk

statjunk DIY Senior Member

Your probably going to have to remove it. Not much will stick to silicone. Not even silicon.

Tom
  5. number1hag

number1hag New Member

thanks for the coments, i used an oil based primer called ZAP and so far it looks great.
  6. michaelyaffa

michaelyaffa New Member

i've used zap before as well (i made a similar mistake)... it did the job adequately...