Did I get sold the wrong material for softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

moose66

Reaction score
I just replaced the resin/media in softener. The dealer gave me 3mmc-050p media & resin.
I know the water is flowing through the media becuase on initial use the water was slightly cloudy from
the white colored resin and has cleared up. But the water does not feal slippery at all after a couple of days of use. I do not have a water test on hand. From what little info I can find I think maybe the material I was sold was for an Iron filter not a water softener. Can some one verify this? Is there a difference in "media" or "resin" or are these terms the same.By the way I have a Fleck 5600. Thanks for your help

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of the iron filtering media is a dull dark brown to black color with no moisture. Softener resin may be a shiny brown or amber color. I have seen white resin in Rainsoft units. It will be moist and sometimes hard to flow to the media tank.

moose66

Reaction score
The pail said 3m mc-050p media & resin. The top 2/3 of material in pail was white and maybe bottom 1/3 brown. Definately 2 different items. I would say 1 was media and the other resin. If the brown stuff was resin than I got screwed because I need .64 cubic feet of resin for my 8x35 tank correct?
And what I got was very little resin and mostly media. Does this make sense to you guys who know.? I am just making uneducated guess?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Calcium Carbonate 471-34-1 60 - 70
Quartz Silica 14808-60-7 25 - 35
Magnesium Oxide 1309-48-4 3 - 7
Magnesium Carbonate 546-93-0 0.5 - 5

Looks like you bought calcite, sand, and Corosex.

Not quite sure how that could be used for softening.

Traditional water softening resin is usually yellowish/amber, orange or almost black tiny round plastic beads. White is not common in softening resin, more in anion resins. Sounds like you have the wrong media. Is our system a softener with a salt tank?

Media is anything that is put into the tank,

resin is usually referring to either cation (softening) or anion (tannin, chromium, nitrate, sulfate, etc) media that is made up of tiny round plastic beads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks