Did I do it right? (pictures of pipes for new bathroom)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not

Reaction score
I'm adding a new 1/2 bath in an empty space. The waste pipe runs horizontally (with proper slope) out through what used to be the outside wall of the house, into the attic space above an addition on the front of the house. It then goes straight down through a closet, then will go at an angle into the main horizontal drain pipe for the house. The main horizontal drain pipe for the house has a toilet at the far left end, then the main vent stack, then drains from a sink and bathtub, then after that is where my new pipe will connect with a Y fitting. After that it continues horizontally a ways, then down and out of the house. I can take pictures of that if there are any concerns, but that part seems pretty straight forward to me.

Here is how I laid out the pipes through the floor joists in the new bathroom:

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

I can connect the 2 vent pipes together in the attic, and then just run one 2" vent pipe up through the roof, right?

Any problems with the way I have everything connected?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
On that toilet, that vent you installed is a flat vent. The first time that clogs the vent will seal off from waste buildup that has no way to self cleanse and clear back out. Just random flushing in that line can also cause residual flow back into that arm, building up till it clogs off.

Constantly see this on the older homes, regardless of piping choice.

That's why they disallow that type of venting now.

Would of been better to snake that 3" over to the wall, or 45 degree angle 3 X 1.5" and roll the vent up, then go where it needs to go.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most areas would consider the sink drain as an adequate vent for the toilet and thus would not need the second vent, which is an improper flat vent anyway. Your description does good until it gets under the floor. Then it becomes difficult to follow because of the way it is described. From what I can make out, without a picture or being there, it SHOULD be all right.

Last edited:

Not

Reaction score
So if I just get rid of the vent after the toilet and replace that section with straight pipe, just the vent from the sink will be sufficient? I guess that makes sense about the vent clogging up there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks