Did I do it right? (pictures of pipes for new bathroom)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by not, Mar 8, 2010.

1. not

not New Member

I'm adding a new 1/2 bath in an empty space. The waste pipe runs horizontally (with proper slope) out through what used to be the outside wall of the house, into the attic space above an addition on the front of the house. It then goes straight down through a closet, then will go at an angle into the main horizontal drain pipe for the house. The main horizontal drain pipe for the house has a toilet at the far left end, then the main vent stack, then drains from a sink and bathtub, then after that is where my new pipe will connect with a Y fitting. After that it continues horizontally a ways, then down and out of the house. I can take pictures of that if there are any concerns, but that part seems pretty straight forward to me.

Here is how I laid out the pipes through the floor joists in the new bathroom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can connect the 2 vent pipes together in the attic, and then just run one 2" vent pipe up through the roof, right?

Any problems with the way I have everything connected?
  2. On that toilet, that vent you installed is a flat vent. The first time that clogs the vent will seal off from waste buildup that has no way to self cleanse and clear back out. Just random flushing in that line can also cause residual flow back into that arm, building up till it clogs off.

Constantly see this on the older homes, regardless of piping choice.

That's why they disallow that type of venting now.

Would of been better to snake that 3" over to the wall, or 45 degree angle 3 X 1.5" and roll the vent up, then go where it needs to go.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Most areas would consider the sink drain as an adequate vent for the toilet and thus would not need the second vent, which is an improper flat vent anyway. Your description does good until it gets under the floor. Then it becomes difficult to follow because of the way it is described. From what I can make out, without a picture or being there, it SHOULD be all right.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  4. not

not New Member

So if I just get rid of the vent after the toilet and replace that section with straight pipe, just the vent from the sink will be sufficient? I guess that makes sense about the vent clogging up there.