Diaphragm well pressure tank troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Crystal Cook, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Crystal Cook

Crystal Cook New Member

I have a Champion CM10050 diaphragm well pressure tank. Yesterday morning the pressure started going up and down (I don't know the terms- sorry) when the water was used (sink, toilet, shower, dishwasher). The water is coming out cloudy today. Help!
  2. Crystal Cook

Crystal Cook New Member

My father drained the well and the hot water heater. The water is sputtering out (like there is pressure but no water) and the water is now rust colored!
  3. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Well going dry would be one potential cause. I am not a pro.
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

If the pump is cycling on/off rapidly you bladder tank is bad. That could also cause the well to be cloudy.
  5. Crystal Cook

Crystal Cook New Member

So, today the water is almost back to normal (98% clear would be my guess), the pressure isn't coming and going either. On the flip side the PSI is reading 90 and the pressure is weaker than it use to be. We did have lightening strike the property a few weeks back. My dad seems to think it just created a clog of sorts.
  6. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

I would replace the pressure switch and/or the pressure gauge. 90 PSI should not happen.
  7. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah you need a new gauge. 90 PSI doesn't sound right. It could mean you pump is not shutting off, which is why the pressure isn't "coming and going".
  8. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

If the pressure is weaker and doesn't fluctuate, then you may have a leak. Obviously, the gauge cannot be trusted. A quick check of the air pressure on the bladder will tell you.
  9. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

LLigetfa is referring to the fact that the air pressure in the pressure tank will pretty much match the water pressure if the tank is not empty.