Desperate for help with flickering issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas Redness

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm facing an issue I need desperate help with. I purchased a house last year which had a few electric issues. Lights thru out the house would flicker now and then. A few months ago I went to the breakers downstairs and individually flipped each on off and then back on and then the problem seemed to have gone away. (Not sure if that is relevant). About a month ago, I added a computer and an amp to one bedroom, and everything was fine for several weeks, no issues. slowly the flickering came back and a week ago it got so bad (lights were flickering really hard, almost to the point of going out, and you could hear static). after a few hours of this happening on and off, my entire computer rebooted, TV shut off, and I heard a wired smoke alarm go off on the first floor (I don't think they are on the same breaker, but cannot say for sure). The bedroom next door had the TV reboot there as well.

Since then, the flickering has been bad, and the cable modem attached to the same outlet as the computer which rebooted has been going off a couple times a day and the computer rebooted at least once more.

I'm not an electrician. But logically, if this is happening on multiple breakers does it point to ConEd's issue? or not necessarily? I have ConEd coming out here sometime next week but am not even sure what to tell them to test for. Does this sound like a problem on their end or mine? And if mine, what can I do to attempt to figure out the problem in the most cost effective way possible?

Sidenote: a few days after problems started, I had work scheduled for my house. the first floor is now gutted, and the contractors said they would be replacing all the wiring up to that point, but if I wanted them to fix the problem in the upper floors with the flickering it can cost 10's of thousands of dollars if it involved tearing up walls to find a shorted wire or grounding issue somewhere.

I'm hoping the fact that I have issues on multiple breakers means it's an issue at the panel or on conEd's side but don't know for sure.

Anyway sorry for the long story... just looking to hear thoughts of someone who may have an idea on what steps should be taken...

thanks in advance

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does your house have copper or aluminum wiring?

It could be as simple as a clamp is loose, or the bus bar in the panel is corroded. Some brands are notorious for bad connections. What brand is your panel?

The problem(s?) could be outside, but more likely internal, and your responsibility verses the utility company's. They should be able to check your feed for you, but after that, it's up to you.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
As stated, call your power company and have them check your feed. Has your home been upgraded with a smart meter? A very small percentage of smart meters have troubles with old meter boxes where the blade connection is out of tolerance causing electrical problems. Since your home project is installing new wiring, the electrician should be able to help you out. Have him check your ground rod if you have one.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
it can cost 10's of thousands of dollars
That is pure BS. The contractor thinks he has you hooked. You don't find electrical shorts or any other kind of electrical problem by tearing up walls. You use your knowledge of electricity and wiring and your smarts.
Call an electrician. He can probably tell you what the problem is very quickly.
That problem is almost certainly on the neutral side and could be a simple as a loose connection of the neutral cable to the neutral buss bar. In fact, if I were going to make a guess at this time I would say that is the problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
Continue to try to get your electrical system fixed. I would get a UPS (uninterruptible power supply power supply) to power the computer and monitor, but not the printer. I have a Cyberpower 1500PFCLCD, but there are others which are very good. It would protect the computer while you are getting your power fixed, and it would keep you from losing your work if the utility power dips or dies for a bit. It is soothing to know it is on the job.

For troubleshooting, I suggest you get a multimeter with probes that can be inserted into outlets. Try the various outlets, and note any anomalies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks