Designing basement stack for water test

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
What recommendations do you have for stack layout in basement to facilitate the water test? Working up (CI f it matters) will have a 4x4 wye for CO then a 4x2 combo for laundry tray and washer standpipe. At one point I was thinking I'd put a test-tee in but now cannot remember the benefit. Seems like with a sausage down the CO I can seal the main stack and connect my water hose to the laundry standpipe to fill system. Do I need/wabt anything else? How would a test-tee help if at all?

Also is ok to orient the CO parallel and inside finish wall with an access door say 2' wide to expose stack base and working space?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like using a test tee with a Cherne plug. It's a little less messy then the baloney. I mean a lot less messy. All the plumbers here know what I mean.

A cleanout needs access in front of it. It's how you would run your snake through it.

cherne_clean_seal_plug.jpg

Last edited:

DavidTu

Reaction score
Thanks Terry that's the reason, now I remember!

Regarding the CO at the base are there height restrictions min/max from floor? And does it need to be the lowest fitting in the stack or could I run laundry in below it?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I used the Cherne plugs for an air test when I added a bath.

Don't you need a 10 foot head for the water test?

DavidTu

Reaction score
The problem you have identified is that when we put the combo from the washer below the CO it will not be tested along with the rest of the system. No easy way around it as the standpipe p-trap must be under 18" from floor, meaning it cannot sit on the CO as that would put the side inlet on combo around 23". The sausage will close off both the CO and the combo below it. Assuming we then put a pipe Jimmy on the standpipe and pressurize thru to the closed off combo with 80 psi water from hose would that not suffice as a leak test for the washer drain? The rest of the system would be tested up to rooftop with another Jimmy on, say, kitchen sink sani-t. Sound ok?

DavidTu

Reaction score
while I am still curious about my question above, it occurs to me that I can stick with my original plan with the pipe jimmy on the washer standpipe and rely on its vent to backfill the rest of the system. Any issues?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks