Depth of plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
I have taken everyones advice and decided to break concrete in my basement for new bath. My 4" PVC waste line is about 9" from the wall and there is an existing cleanout "T" about 3' above the floor. My run will be about 14' from this pipe to the toilet with a sink and tub following along the wall. My greatest concern is how deep the existing fitting that changes from horizontal to verticle is under the concrete. Short of breaking the concrete, is there a way to determine how deep this fitting is?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The Ridgid See-Snake and Navi-Trak locator will give you the exact depth and location of the pipe. I consider it to be the most accurate equipment out there.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take the cleanout cover off and using something rigid, like a broom handle, see how far down you can go. It obviously won't go around the elbow, but it should give you an idea of how deep it is underground. One of the tools designed for this would be much more accurate, but that should give you an idea.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
depth

Why spend $200.00 for a locator. Remove the cleanout plug and then drop the end of a ruler down the line, (a broomstick is too rigid to do it), and measure the depth. It will stop when it reaches the turn.

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
THANKS for the replies. I checked the depth with a stiff piece of 1/8 wire and found the bottom of horizontal 4" PVC pipe to be 14.50" from top of slab. Do any of you have any suggestions considering the limitations this presents for the planned bath?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
depth

That can either be not enough, or more than adequate. It depends on the placement of your fixtures and the piping layout ability of your plumber.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Or, if the pipe ends up running by where you are putting in the bath it may be even deeper. Who Knows?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks