Demo Hammer/Roto Hammer--Help me choose

Users who are viewing this thread

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
I am looking for a demo hammer or roto hammer. I have time that i just need to break and chip through a wall and other times that i would like to drill a hole. I am thinking that i want to get a dedicated hammer and a dedicated drill. We have had small drills and are unhappy with them. I am willing to spend some money.

any suggestions on brand, size, ect.

thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go to http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/. They have a 3 function rotary hammer/drill that for small DIY jobs can't be beat IMHO. I comes with several drill bits and a couple of chisels. This uses SDS bits and additional ones are quite inexpensive. This tool will break concrete, and is outstanding to drill holes up to 1/2" in concrete. Best news is, it doesn't cost an arm and leg. Grizzly stands behind their tools exceptionally well, too.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like Hilti. I have a small one for tapcons, etc. A bigger one for popping 1.25" holes for 1" water service, it can also do some light breaking. For serious breaking, I rent one.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
For small holes and light chipping I use a Bosch "bullbog" - works well and I use it up to 1.25" holes in concrete (and through steel decking...)
For real chipping, I use one of the big "Brute" demo hammers

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
the brute is way to big, i have an air jack hammer for stuff that large. the work i need to do is to break in to manholes. this work is vertical in nature and the larger hammers look like they would be impossible to hold and control at right angle.

i am interested in the 20 to 25 lb hammer range.

is bosch a pretty good brand to go with?

also, it sounds like i need to look at two units. one for a roto and one for chipping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I was looking into this myself. I rent the Bosch Brute for heavy duty breaking, and I have rented their rotary and demo hammers. All seem to be very solid tools and get the the job done. Sooner or later I will finally purchase a rotary hammer (since I can't justify spending so much on two separate tools that I will only have occasional use for), and I will probably purchase a Milwaukee unit since I prefer them for corded power tools over all others, but the Bosch units are still going to make me second guess when it comes down to final decision.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Hitachi 60lb jackhammer with multiple attachments including spade. <<< Best money ever spent for ground roughs, gotta have electric to run it.

Hitachi large rotary hammer...I've beaten through granite with it and it keeps tickin'.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Check out the DeWalt rotary hammers

Durability & performance wise, they compete directly against Hilti. Price wise they're between Bosch and Hilti, but some of the independent distributors get pretty aggressive with pricing.

Good luck

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I own 3 Bosch hammer drills. They work well drilling from 1/4 inch to 1 1/2 " and they chip pretty good for smaller jobs.

Bosch_SDS_Max_Demolition_Hammer_11316EVS_Shop_Tools1-resized200.jpg

Prashster

Reaction score
Buy a small sdsmax rotary hammer. It'll let you drill holes and do light chipping. The Bosch sdsmax is awesome. The sdsmax can do everything it's smaller (sds and hammer drill) siblings can do and more. The tool's heavy though, so if you have a bad back...(if you have a bad back, you shouldn't be doing concrete work anyway)

If you have to do any larger work, yr best off with a demo hammer (like a rotohammer, but without the roto function, and with more hammer action) or a jack hammer (Bosch yellow). These tools are best (IMHO) rented.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
prashster said:
Buy a small sdsmax rotary hammer. It'll let you drill holes and do light chipping. The Bosch sdsmax is awesome. The sdsmax can do everything it's smaller (sds and hammer drill) siblings can do and more. The tool's heavy though, so if you have a bad back...(if you have a bad back, you shouldn't be doing concrete work anyway)

If you have to do any larger work, yr best off with a demo hammer (like a rotohammer, but without the roto function, and with more hammer action) or a jack hammer (Bosch yellow). These tools are best (IMHO) rented.

Doing large basement remodels/undergrounds...forget about any "hammer"...get a diamond saw (I rent 'em, considering a purchase soon).
They slice through in a small fraction of the time, but make one BIG mess.
Make sure you have a really BIG fan.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:

but make one BIG mess.
Make sure you have a really BIG fan.

They don't make much of any mess if you keep a bit of water on the blade (1/4" irrigation hose hooked to a hose bibb....) and use a shop vac to suck up the slurry...
And they cut quicker with less blade wear that way...
Great part is the NO DUST....

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
markts30 said:
They don't make much of any mess if you keep a bit of water on the blade (1/4" irrigation hose hooked to a hose bibb....) and use a shop vac to suck up the slurry...
And they cut quicker with less blade wear that way...
Great part is the NO DUST....

I know...I use the gas powered one w/water line included...gas exhaust, thats the main problem...cough cough
The time it saves is VERY worthwhile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks