Delta tub and shower facet installed..little drip

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Andrew21, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

Hey all,

I just installed the Delta tub and shower kit for my bathroom. It was pretty simple except for the tub spout. Took me a while but figured it out.

Now here's the problem. When I turn off the water, there's still a drip of water that comes out of the spout. I would say a drip every 2 seconds. I made sure all the connections were tight and everything was done correctly.

Any suggestions on what to look for?
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you have a tub/shower valve and run the shower head, it will take 35 minutes for it to drain down completely.
  3. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

On a tub filler last month there was a packing washer that was installed and not needed. It prevented the divertor from fully sitting down and we need to remove it. Once that happen the drip stopped. The drip was with the hand held sprayer and not the tub spout.

Perhaps check that nothing is blocking the divertor from working properly.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The key to whether it is drain down or a leak is whether it eventually stops. I time the interval between the "drips" and if it does not stay constant, then it is drain down.
  5. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

HJ what if the drips are at regular intervals?

JW
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If it continues and it's regular, then there is a sealing problem.

It does take about 35 minutes to quit dripping on a working system.
  7. hj

A steady drip will be a faucet leak. The drips will get further and further apart as the drain down ends.
  8. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

I haven't monitored the drip for a long time. Only for a few minutes. It was a drip every 2 seconds for the minute. Then I went and turned off the shutoff valves cause I was leaving for work.
  9. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you didn't flush the lines before installing the cartridge and some grit or crud got caught against the sealing surface, you may have scored the sealing surface and the gaskets can't make a proper seal. If that's the case, you need a new cartridge. Most of the time, the water is clean enough so flushing doesn't help, but it certainly doesn't hurt! There can be all sorts of crud dislodged when first turning on a new fixture. It's probably just draining down from the shower riser, though, and everything is fine.
  10. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

Checked it before. Turned the water back on from the shut off valves, then turned on the shower. Water came out for a minute or two, then I turned it off. No drips. Didn't turn on the shower yet but will let you know what happens later.
  11. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

Ok cut the water supply and turned on the shower. Whatever water was in there drained out. Turned off the shower.

Turned on the supply again and the drip was still there. Perhaps the valve adapter? or the cartridge?
  12. hj

How are you turning the shower on and off? Does it have its own control valve? If so then we have been giving you advice for a different installation because you did NOT tell us how you installed the vavle.