Delta Single Handle Shower Faucet - Leaking Profusely

Users who are viewing this thread

wbp3

Reaction score
I have an older (8 yrs+?) Delta single handle faucet system that began leaking profusely last evening (wife & I were out & somehow the babysitter & my 2.5 year old managed to do something when having her bath). A large amount of water is coming out from the tub spigot (not shower) when the faucet handle is in the off position.

When I exert inward & downward pressure on the handle the leak will stop - but when pressure is released it begins again. Any help on starting points, diagnosis / repair approach would be appreciated.

Basis surfing on this site & Delta's site show I might need to replace the Seats & Springs &/or the Cam & Packing mechanisms. . . are these replacement parts generally available at HD or Lowes? (Assuming I can determine the model)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You need to replace whatever parts your particular model uses. I picture posted would be helpful. Parts are readily available. I would recommend using Delta OEM parts. Some Delta valves can be ruined by improper disassembly.

wbp3

Reaction score
I've been looking on Delta's site to try to locate model # - no luck thus far. Attached is a picture of the fully assembled mechanism - if another view (shower head, etc.) would be helpful please let me know.

Thanks for your assistance.

Attachments

• DSC_0938-1.jpg
    DSC_0938-1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 10,374

Lancaster

Reaction score
Delta RP3614 kit includes all those parts you mentioned.And best of all,it includes instructions.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Actually, based on the 8~2 o'clock screw locations, this is not a 600 series ball type shower, which would be 8~4 o'clock. Proably a 1300 series. Best to turn of the water and remove the cartridge to make sure what one you have. Maybe take off the handle and the escutcheon and give us another picture.

Please be aware that the bonnet nut which secures the cartridge is often stuck, and turning it to hard can cause TERMINAL DAMAGE to the valve body. Be prepared to possibley use a Dremel or hacksaw to slice across the nut. new ones are available. You can try a vinegar soak first, but this is a common issue.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Heed Jimbo's advice!

The nut is very thin and if you squeeze it with channel locks or a pipe wrench you will flat spot it and make it even harder to remove.

An application of heat usually works very well.

The valve is connected to the valve body by 3 small tubes. If you twist too hard these will shear off. When this happens most plumbers would just replace the valve. Hj has been known to repair them, I tried it once on the bench. It was not an easy task!

Last edited:

wbp3

Reaction score
Thanks for the information & assistance. We've managed to stop the bleeding (or dripping) for the time being - I travel for work but plan to tackle this later in the week when I return home. Thanks again for all the input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks