Delta shower valve, No hot water in shower turned into problem with Delta valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

RustyNails

Reaction score
In trying to fix the hot water on my shower, I think I messed everything up. Hopefully someone can give me a tip that saves me from calling a plumber.

A couple days ago I suddenly couldn't get hot water in the shower. I googled it and it sounded like I needed to adjust the limit stop inside the handle (I have a single-handle Delta shower). So I adjusted it and voila! the hot water was back. Only then I had a drip that wouldn't stop. So I unscrewed the tap handle again and messed around more. Not a good idea.

Now my shower not only still drips when "off", but there are two "off" positions. The water is full-on cold in what used to be the off position, and as I turn the handle counter-clockwise, it goes off, and then turns on again and is hot. Both "off" positions leave the shower dripping. I had to leave the limit stop out of the handle completely to be able to have a hot shower now.

It looks like I have somehow moved the valve's stopping point (I hope I'm using the correct terms, I had to look all this up online). The valve used to be set, in the off position, at the bottom of this plastic ledge (not part of the limit stop). Now one of the off positions is a half inch to the left of the old spot, and the other is all the way on the right side of the plastic ledge (so the water gets scalding hot without the limit stop, I have to be careful). I've attached pictures of the valve to show what I mean.

How on earth do I fix this so that it it back to normal, meaning when it's turned all the way clockwise it is off, all the way counter-clockwise is hot, and it doesn't leak?

Valve_1.jpg
Valve_2.jpg

RustyNails

Reaction score
You may need new seats and springs to prevent leaking and a new cartridge.
Here is the Delta Parts look up link:

Thanks. That's sounding like it may be more complex than I'm up for, may have to call the plumber after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is not difficult and we could help you with that. You will save a little money. It is easy work for any plumber and should not cost too much.

RustyNails

Reaction score
It is not difficult and we could help you with that. You will save a little money. It is easy work for any plumber and should not cost too much.

My experience is you can't get a plumber around here to do anything for less than $150. Either they have a call-out fee of at least $75 and make sure the time it takes to do the work costs enough to get you to at least $150 or more, or they come out for free but if they do any work it's crazy high rates (that one is RotoRooter, they're the only ones that don't charge call-out fees, but then if they do any work it comes to like $100 more than the other guys who do charge call-out fees).

I'll look over some videos about seats and springs and see if I can figure it out. Will changing them make the valve go back to the off position it's supposed to have (which is, all the way to the left)? I may also call a plumber and explain the problem and see if they can quote me a rate, but it won't be less than $75 even if it's super simple, as that's the call-out fee (and I'd be very surprised if they said the fee was enough to cover all the work. I asked the guy who came last time for a different problem how much to install a new faucet for me, and he said it was $150, didn't matter how little time it takes to do the work).

Edit: Just saw a video on changing seats and springs. That won't fix what I have going on in the shower, I don't think. That valve is not going to where it's supposed to (meaning, not in the right starting position and I don't know how to get it back there). Once that problem is fixed, then the seats and springs might help if it still drips. BUT I do have a sink faucet that drips unless I turn it off just so, so I might refer to the video for that problem.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to shut the water off and disassemble the shower valve to remove the cartridge and what ever else is in there. You can take the cartridge etc. to the hardware store and get new parts just like it. You could take it out and look for parts on line too. Take pictures of everything (Both ends and from the side) if you have to put it back together so you can turn the water back on.

RustyNails

Reaction score
You need to call 1-800-345-DELT and have them send you a COMPLETE cartridge and replace it. I NEVER replace seats and springs in one of those valves.

1. Do you mean they send it free? Otherwise I could just buy it from a store.
2. These faucets came with the house,
3. I don't have receipts or even know how old they are.
4. Will Delta still send me the parts?

Last edited by a moderator:

RustyNails

Reaction score
You need to call 1-800-345-DELT and have them send you a COMPLETE cartridge and replace it. I NEVER replace seats and springs in one of those valves.

Just got off the phone, Delta is sending me the cartridge for the shower and some seats and springs for a leaky sink. Thanks for the tip, I never would've realized they had such a good warranty policy!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks