Delta shower valve leak

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mateojimmy, Dec 23, 2008.

1. mateojimmy

mateojimmy New Member

I have a Delta shower head that continues to leak. The whole shower was installed 3 +- 1yr (new house construction). I pulled the shower head off, left it off for a while, and realized that it continued to drip. I therefore assume the problem lies in the valve (or a gasket). I turned off the water and tried to pull the valve apart, but didn't want to destroy anything so I stopped when it required a bit of force. I've got some pics, but my question is what part do I need to fix the leak? And ultimately, how do I fix it?

P.S. I've never used this site before...Let me know if my link doesn't work for my pictures. I can find another way to post them.
  2. mateojimmy

mateojimmy New Member

Here's a couple of the pics (hopefully). This should help explain the type of valve it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. mateojimmy

mateojimmy New Member

Alright 3 of 4...not bad....here's the last one I tried to post.

[​IMG]
  4. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

The cartridge needs to be pulled and the seats and springs replaced. This is normal maintenance on a Delta.
  5. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

BTW, the brass bonnet unscrews counter-clockwise in order to get to the "innards." Take the seat and springs with you but there are repair kits just for Delta.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

DElta

I replace the entire cartridge rather than mess with the internal seats and springs. This also renews the pressure balance unit before it can start to malfunction.
  7. mateojimmy

mateojimmy New Member

Thank you everyone! This is a load off. Quick follow up questions... Do I need any tools for the cartridge removal or does it just pull out (after the brass ring is unscrewed)? And would Home Depot or Menard's have one of these kits?
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cartridge

HD has it and it just pulls out. Check which way it is inserted so you can install the new one the same way, or you will have the hot and cold sides reversed.
  9. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The new cartridge ( Delta RP19804) will have a slightly different design on the hot limit stop. It IS the right part for your shower. Delta just redesigned it, but it does work on all 1300 models before 2005.
  10. mateojimmy

mateojimmy New Member

Thank you

Thank you again for all your help. I went to Home Depot and got the spring/gasket repair kit. It was only $4 vs $40 for the cardridge. I replaced it and put it all back together... and no more leak! Thank you again!!!
  11. rjgman

rjgman New Member

Stuck handle on Delta Monitor shower

I have the same faucet a Delta Monitor about 12 yrs old. I recently replaced the cartridge assembly as it was leaking. It's now leaking again. Problem I had before was removing the handle. I had to cut it. Now I'm able to remove the set screw which I was not able to do last time (6 months ago). But... I can't get the handle off. Since it's only been on for 6 months it should not be corroded. Any suggestions on how to get the handle off. Is there a puller tool? :confused:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009