Delta Set Screw

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by towthis2002, Jul 13, 2009.

1. towthis2002

towthis2002 New Member

Well I decided to tackle my leaking shower today but I could not get the set screw out. I must have tried on and off for two hours. Any suggestions?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Spray on some vinegar. Repeat several times over several hours. That should help. If you have buggered the hex, or if is just doesn't move, them you may have to drill it out. Fortunately, with Delta, any part you destroy like the handle or stem, are available and inexpensive.
  3. towthis2002

towthis2002 New Member

Thanks - soaking it now. I took a paper towel and soaked it in vinegar and have it sitting on top of the screw.

If it cant come out I don't see how you could access the small hole to drill it out.

Where does Delta stand on something like this? I understand the washer going bad but the design of the handle with the screw almost inaccessible is ridiculous...
  4. TedL

TedL New Member

What type of stand are you looking for them to take?
  5. towthis2002

towthis2002 New Member

Well I soaked it for at least 1 1/2, no luck. I guess it is time to call in a professional or is there another way? From the location of the handle, screw, and wall, I don't thinK I can drill it out.

As far as Delta, I think the placement of the set screw is horrible. I don't think the faucet is expensive but the whole thing is unfixable because of a 1/10 of a cent screw.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

screw

If it is an allen screw on the side of the handle, then gently heating the handle at that point usually melts the deposits holding it in place. Once you loosen it, keep turning it back and forth as it cools so the material does not grab it again.
  7. towthis2002

towthis2002 New Member

What would be the best way to heat it? Butane lighter?
  8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Delta stands to sell you a new handle, or a new faucet!
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heat

That might do it. I use a small refillable torch with a pencil flame.
  10. towthis2002

towthis2002 New Member

Just to let others know.

I ended up taking a hacksaw to the handle to remove it so I could access the set screw. After a couple trips to home depot to get those tools that remove broken screws I ended up drilling it out and finally removing what was left of the handle to access the valve.
  11. Did you put grease on that new allen screw?