Delta Set Screw

Users who are viewing this thread

towthis2002

Reaction score
Well I decided to tackle my leaking shower today but I could not get the set screw out. I must have tried on and off for two hours. Any suggestions?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Spray on some vinegar. Repeat several times over several hours. That should help. If you have buggered the hex, or if is just doesn't move, them you may have to drill it out. Fortunately, with Delta, any part you destroy like the handle or stem, are available and inexpensive.

towthis2002

Reaction score
Thanks - soaking it now. I took a paper towel and soaked it in vinegar and have it sitting on top of the screw.

If it cant come out I don't see how you could access the small hole to drill it out.

Where does Delta stand on something like this? I understand the washer going bad but the design of the handle with the screw almost inaccessible is ridiculous...

towthis2002

Reaction score
Well I soaked it for at least 1 1/2, no luck. I guess it is time to call in a professional or is there another way? From the location of the handle, screw, and wall, I don't thinK I can drill it out.

As far as Delta, I think the placement of the set screw is horrible. I don't think the faucet is expensive but the whole thing is unfixable because of a 1/10 of a cent screw.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
screw

If it is an allen screw on the side of the handle, then gently heating the handle at that point usually melts the deposits holding it in place. Once you loosen it, keep turning it back and forth as it cools so the material does not grab it again.

towthis2002

Reaction score
Just to let others know.

I ended up taking a hacksaw to the handle to remove it so I could access the set screw. After a couple trips to home depot to get those tools that remove broken screws I ended up drilling it out and finally removing what was left of the handle to access the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks