Delta Scald Guard - how do I remove cartridge & stop its leaking?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by berliner5, Sep 23, 2013.

1. berliner5

berliner5 New Member

This is a Delta Scald Guard thermostatic shower valve (from approx. 1980, I'd guess).

The temperature control and water volume work fine, but when the valve is turned off it has a slow drip.

How do I remove and the cartridge and repair or replace it to stop the leaking?

Thanks!

IMG_0819.jpg
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

You have the retaining nut off, the cartridge should just pull out. You may not need to replace the cartridge. There are two springs and two rubber seats behind the cartridge replacing them may solve your problem.

John
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Turn the water back on, it will come out LOL
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Pull it out. I always replace the cartridge, springs, and washers, because the plastic bottom can develop a concave curvature. Why was the tile wall "damaged"? As a side note, it is thermostatic and may not be pressure balanced unless there is a balancing spool hiding in the shadows to the right of the cartridge.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  5. berliner5

berliner5 New Member

Well, that sounds easy enough! I had actually turned the water back on, without the retaining nut, but fortunately (unless I find it's permanently stuck) the cartridge did not pop out, Tom Sawyer!

Just called Delta, who kindly offered to send the seats & springs kit, part number RP4993. They're sending it for free, even though the 'lifetime warranty policy' didn't kick in until 1985.

My backup plan will be to replace the entire cartridge, part number RP 1991, should that be necessary.

Thanks for the help!
  6. Smooky

Smooky Member

You can screw the handle back on and use the handle to pull it out.