Delta R10000 shower rough-in valve too deep in wall....

Users who are viewing this thread

ugmw177

Reaction score
Hello,
I installed the delta rough in valve as per instructions with the plaster guard allowing for 1/2" and another 3/8" for tile and thin set; however the tiler has added a ton of thin set to level the entire wall for the frameless glass doors. This unforseen problem leaves my rough-in about 1/2" behind the finished wall. Outside of tearing out his tiling/durock, there is no access to move it. We are using Brizo trim..I do not think it is going to fit properly.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to move the body towards the tile. To gain access, cut the drywall behind the shower, free the body from the block/studs that support it, move it to the desired new location and fasten.

ugmw177

Reaction score
You have to move the body towards the tile. To gain access, cut the drywall behind the shower, free the body from the block/studs that support it, move it to the desired new location and fasten.

Thanks for the suggestion; however, it is mounted in an exterior wall on the 2nd floor..exterior wall covering is brick veneer.

To make matters more difficult the valve body cold input copper pipe comes through a stud about 3 inches to the left of the body.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some, not all, trims have an available extension kit. If your trim doesn't have one, you might be stuck with switching to one that does. The only other alternative is to tear in there and fix it. Trying to get something custom made that looked good would be very expensive. YOu might get very lucky trying to cobble something up, but it's doubtful.

Now, that being said, have you tried the trim yet? Sometimes, there's a bit more leeway than the documentation says. You might get lucky and only need to find some longer screws...there might be enough clearance for the handle to use it once you get it screwed in place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Have you tried to install the trim kit. Usually the screws are long enough and the handle projects out enough to handle a lot more thickness than just a bit more thinset. Other wise get an extension kit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks