Delta R10000 rough in valve questions and more

Users who are viewing this thread

Finch85

Reaction score
I was doing a search and came across this thread which raised a few questions from me.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?43744-Shower-Rough-In

My setup will inculde the R10000-PX, R11000 diverter valve, showerhead, and hand shower. I'll be using 1/2" PEX Couple questions...

1. I see that I can install the R10000 upside down and plug what would normally be the shower outlet? If I install it upside down for maximum flow (which will actually be to my diverter valve, does the hot still connect to the left side and the cold to the right?

2. What is crossover? I saw this term in the above thread. My supply has ball shut off valves so I believe this won't be a concern, right?

3. What is best to use for the showerhead and handshower stub outs?

4. Once I get both valves installed and both the showerhead and handshower drop ears w/ capped stub outs installed...does testing simply involve turning on the water and making sure there are no leaks? Silly question but wanted to make sure.

5. My plumbing wall is backed by drywall and is a bedroom closet wall. I already have an access panel to access my cut off valves, should I have an access panel for the mixing and diverter valves for future maintenance/repairs? Would I even be able to access them with an access with the 2x4's which hold the valves?

Thank you all!

delta_multichoice.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Shower valves..including this one...are serviced from the front. Simply removing the chrome trim plate gives you access to replacing the cartridge.

For testing, the R10000 comes with a test plug installed. However, after that test, unless you plan to immediately install the cartridge ( not usually the case) you need to get the internal plug. Otherwise, you have s straight through connection from hot to cold.

multichoice_d1.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. That is how I install it, and normally the hot and cold still go on the left and right sides. BUT, it conditions make the reverse easier, then you just "rotate" the cartridge to correct it.
2. Crossover is when the hot and cold are connected together so they can mix in the water piping. The ball valves will NOT prevent it unless they are closed. either install the cartridge or the "test plug" taht comes with the valve to prevent it.
3. Usually threaded drop ear elbows.
4. Yes.
5. You should NEVER have to access the back of the valve. In fact, most plumbers, unless you tell them about the valves, will not even use the ball valves when they service the faucet.

Last edited:

Finch85

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses.

1. That is how I install it, and normally the hot and cold still go on the left and right sides. BUT, it conditions make the reverse easier, then you just "rotate" the cartridge to correct it.

I'm still a little confused about this statement. I haven't looked at my mixing valve yet but on my diverter valve the cartridge can only go in the one way, right?. Is the mixing valve not the same? Also, what about the screen...is it necessary to keep it in since that port will be plugged?

And I wasn't clear on my question #4. I meant what is best installed into the drop ear elbows? I was asking specifically with the handshower stub out in mind. I now see that I use a 1/2" iron nipple that has to stick out 1/2" from the finished wall.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The rough-in, when installed in a back-to-back arrangement may have the hot and cold reversed. Delta allowed for that and provides instructions on how to turn the cartridge to compensate.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; AFAIK the test plug will not stop the crossover.

That IS the purpose for the test plug. It goes into the water inlet to prevent crossover. The cartridge can go in either direction. If the valve is inverted, it still goes in the normal way. If the hot and cold are reversed then the cartridge is inverted, regardless of how the valve body is installed. You use brass nipples, not galvanized steel ones.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The test plug that came with mine did not prevent a crossover. I had to install the cartridge right away. You can look it up in the manual if you don't believe me. Here, I took a snapshot of the test plug (#3 in the IPL).

testplug.jpg

multichoice_d2.jpg

Cartridge for the 1700
multichoice_d3.jpg

Next
multichoice_d4.jpg

Cartridge installed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While keyed, the keys seem to be symmetrical, so you can insert it in two ways. If the cartridge doesn't want to go in, put some silicon plumber's grease (not the petroleum based version) on the o-ring(s) and it will go in fairly easily.

Make sure to do as they say to flush the lines before inserting the cartridge. If there's any crud in there, it can get caught and score the mating surface, creating a slow leak and wear on the seals creating a bigger leak quickly.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The item you point to is the test CAP. The instructions further point out that after testing, you must install the PLUG RP46079 to prevent crossover if you will not immediately install the cart/

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is NOT the test plug it is the fixture cap. The test plug is a small item, probably item #5), that is inserted into the hot water inlet to separate the two systems.

Finch85

Reaction score
Not to get into the middle of this but I believe #5 is the screen. I have my valve in hand and thats what it looks like. Speaking of which, if I turn my valve upside down, does the screen still need to be in there?

You guys also have me thinking about getting the necessary plug to prevent crossover. Guess I could keep the valves turned off but I want to keep them on in case I cause a leak. Thanks for the item # Jimbo.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Since you have independent shutoffs, I would simply close one of them. That way the system is still pressurized from one side and no crossover. The purpose of the screen does not change regardless of which way you orient the valve body.

Finch85

Reaction score
Thank you and I just realized I couldn't purchase the plug anyway since my valve doesn't have stops. I'm learning:) Now if I could just understand these darn instructions on how far back to mount the diverter valve. If mounting independently, it seems to be installed at a different depth than if you were to place the diverter over top the main valve. I don't quite understand that.

EDIT: Since I'll be using PEX for my connections, the directions state not to install PEX on the tub downspout. Since I'm turning the valve upside down but capping off what would normally be the shower head port, does this still apply? I'm thinking no but wanted to make sure.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
#5 on your diagram is the filter screen. The test plug RP46079 is shown on the install diagram. It is purchased separately.

rp46079.jpg

Finch85

Reaction score
I ended up NOT having to turn the valve upside down. Since I would be using the tub spout to feed my diverter...I just came out of the bottom tub spout, down, and over to the "IN" of my diverter. I assume this is acceptable, right? They are on the same horizontal plane not vertical.

I got everything plumbed and turned the shutoffs on and noticed the hot supply was getting very hot. Went to our other bathroom and turned the cold on and it was getting hot. Experienced crossover firsthand. I would have probably been stumped if I didn't read that on here. Thanks for all the help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Delta valve bodies I purchase come WITH the anticrossover plug, but I always install the cartridge so I do not use it. You can pipe to the diverter anyway you want to. You are NOT "using the tub SPOUT to feed the diverter". You have the diverter connected to the spout OUTLET on the valve. They are two different installations.

Last edited:

Finch85

Reaction score
The Delta valve bodies I purchase come WITH the anticrossover plug, but I always install the cartridge so I do not use it. You can pipe to the diverter anyway you want to. You are NOT "using the tub SPOUT to feed the diverter". You have the diverter connected to the spout OUTLET on the valve. They are two different installations.

Yes..that's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying and for your help. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks