Delta R10000 installation...leave plastic screen in during soldering??

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by old_man, Aug 14, 2013.

1. old_man

old_man New Member

Folks,

Delta R10000 installation instructions indicate to leave plastic screen in place during soldering, but to "avoid high temperatures" since it may damage screen!?

Any idea why they want you to leave screen on, then have to worry about using too much heat?

I see photos online of installs that show it removed, presumably to facilitate soldering, which seems like the sensible thing to do (assuming it actually comes off, maybe it doesn't, I have not tried).

Thanks!
  2. themp

themp New Member

I had the same question a while back replacing my shower valve with a R10000. I removed it during the soldering phase, just did not want to take any chance. Then when I was done I never put it back as I flushed the lines with no valve in place. Someone commented that in a normal whole house plumbing job it is to catch all crud in the lines when flushed and before the valve is in place. Then there is the plug that you have to use if you do not install the valve right away to prevent crossover, that gets in the way of the screen, so again I did not use the screen again because of this.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I do not bother with doing it, but then I do not heat the valve so hot that it would melt it.