Delta MultiChoice Universal valve body (R10000) and length of drop to spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
As indicated in the subject line I have a Delta MultiChoice Universal valve body (R10000) that I'm installing. While checking out some other final detail questions I had before I finalize my solder connections and feed it water, I came across a new question.

The sketch that's attached from some Delta trim kit installation material shows a >> MINIMUM << drop of 8" to the tub spout which has a pull up diverter.

Question: am I looking for a problem if my spout drop is LESS than 8". It might only be ~ 6". I'm not at the work site to see exactly, but I'm trying to make the water connection today but want to correct if possible.

Unfortunately I've already drilled the hole in the tub/shower wall surround panel at my current drop that's LESS than the recommended 8" so I'm kind of cooked already, but I'd just like to know in advance if there's a recognized issue that I might encounter.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• faucet drop distance.jpg
    faucet drop distance.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 10,670

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
We have installed a few fixtures closer to the 6" center to center mark before with no problems. Looking at the scale of the drawing you should be fine with the trim coverage.

It might be possible to raise the rough in a little since that trim looks quite large. Bring some tubing and some gear clamps to work and fire that puppy up - it's the only way to know for sure for sure.

Good Luck.

JW

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
We have installed a few fixtures closer to the 6" center to center mark before with no problems. Looking at the scale of the drawing you should be fine with the trim coverage.

It might be possible to raise the rough in a little since that trim looks quite large. Bring some tubing and some gear clamps to work and fire that puppy up - it's the only way to know for sure for sure.

Good Luck.
[/U][/B]
JW

Thanks JW, I just dry fitted the trim and I can see now why they suggest 8" min. The valve trim on my model (not the same trim kit as shown in the sketch I attached) is actually taller than the one you noted was big. My valve control trim piece with the spout installed Just clear each other by approx 1/8". Now I can see why they recommend a min. Of 8" so that it will cover any of the different trim models. Thanks again!

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
Like Maxwell Smart used to say, "Missed it by that much!".
maxwellsmart_missed_it_by_that_much1.jpg

Ha Ha ... good one. I had to Google to see some old Get Smart tv clips to remember his catchphrase, but it came back to me when I did.

I normally read and re-read the installation intructions for almost everything many times before actually installing anything, and I did so this time was well (my own catchphrase being "if all else fails, read the instructions"). After I realized I had "Missed it by that much!", I was cursing up and down about how bad the Delta instuctions are, I went to re-read them and saw that I only had myself to blame. When I re-read the instructions for the MultiChoice Universal Valve Body (that was included as part of the Delta trim kit style we bought), they specifically say the spout supply pipe should be a MINIMUM of 8" below the valve body. (Unfortunately they don't repeat the same note anywhere in the much larger Instruction booklet that they provide for installing the trim package itself. If they did, I might have caught my mistake sooner and maybe avoided it).

Anyway, luckily for me this time, I "missed it by that much". The space between the bottom of the large valve body escutcheon plate we have and the top edge of the tub spout is not even 1/8" like I had guessed this morning ... in fact they just barely clear each other ... but they at least clear each other so I lucked out. Another lesson learned.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just make sure to install the spout before the trim, as (at least on most Delta spouts), it screws on. It also means if you ever want to replace the spout (the diverter is the first thing to go), you have to remove the trim plate to be able to unscrew it. That plate might have been caulked in place, and then it becomes a much more annoying, time-consuming issue. Also, if you ever wanted to replace the trim to update the look, it may no longer fit!

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
Just make sure to install the spout before the trim, as (at least on most Delta spouts), it screws on. It also means if you ever want to replace the spout (the diverter is the first thing to go), you have to remove the trim plate to be able to unscrew it. That plate might have been caulked in place, and then it becomes a much more annoying, time-consuming issue. Also, if you ever wanted to replace the trim to update the look, it may no longer fit!

Good points for me to keep in mind. Thanks Jim. I'll do as you suggest ... and also try to make sure that if an updated trim kit look is ever discussed at some time in the future, to make sure the main large escutcheon plate that covers the Delta valve body, is equal to or less than the height of the current one).

delta_multichoice.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks