Delta Monitor - removing assembly rp19805

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mal, Jul 2, 2009.

1. mal

mal New Member

I am trying to replace an old Delta Monitor Valve (1300/1400).
    I was able to remove the cap assembly rp19806, showing the old house assembly (rp19805).
    How do I remove the old housing assembly rp19805 from its place?
    I tryied pulling it with "reasonable" force but I am afraid it may break or something else may give.

Thanks in advance for your help.

mal.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

delta

Pull it. It just slides in and out.
  3. mal

mal New Member

It seems to be stuck. ...would like to understand why before I force it out.
    It has been there for about 10 years. If it is because of calcium deposits, I heard that soaking it for a few minutes with a vinager and water solution may help disolve it, then, perhaps spraying it with wd40.

Thanks.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

WD40 probably won't help, and while vinegar may disolve enough to free it up, it will take longer than a few minutes.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

stuck

The "O" rings have stuck to the body. Usually NOTHING you spray into it will reach or loosen them. PULL it out.
  6. mal

mal New Member

I believe you are right. Only brute force may be the solution.
    (Just hope I don't brake anything else)
    Enclosed are a couple of pictures...

Attached Files:

7. mal

mal New Member

ok guys.
    Had to use my Rotor Zip and break it in pieces. No way I could pull it without damaging the rest of the piping. Even tried to use heat with a torche. It didn't move. So, I decided to cut the plastic, remove the metal inside, and then use a set of needle nose pliers to rotate and pull each of the two inserts.

Indeed as you mention, it was the Oring that was stck to the pipe.
    Cleaned all up, fine sanded any deposits left from the old Orings, placed the new cartridge, and all is back to normal. What a job!.

Thanks for your help and support.
    This is an excellent web site, with fantastic people suporting it!

mal

Attached Files:

8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

WOW....never saw one gunked up quite that bad. You need to clean out the body really well so the new orings will seal. Vinegar is good, but you could use something stonger like CLR. Don't get that on the new rubber or plastic parts.
  9. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I think a lot of that is plastic from using the roto-zip...
    I hope you didn't damage any of the sealing surfaces...