Delta Lightning Arrestor Install......Photos!

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by xlr8tion, May 7, 2012.

1. xlr8tion

xlr8tion P.E. (Professional Engineer)

I lost my 1.5HP Grundfos to a "Strike" last month.

I bought the same replacement pump (16S15-14) and the reinstall was a fiasco (cracked my main irrigation line in three places with his 10Klb PumpTruck) and wired my Pumptrol 9013 FSG ass backwards. See the last 2 photos and lets see if you guys catch the error?

I noticed this today when I installed my Delta Lightning Arrestor LA 302R

http://www.deltala.com/prod01.htm#LA302R

Very well made in the USA Varistor that must weigh near half a pound. SOLID!

Anywho; reversed the redneck errors and have a "sacrificial lamb" to spare my windings.

Wanted to say THANKS to all the guys who gave advice and helped out with info and advice!

This is a great forum with a fantastic group of folks:D

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards.....

Greg in SC

PS...The Vycor wrap around the casing is to act as a quasi safety tether holding the 12/2 against the well casing-as I have no safety cable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the pics and the lightning arrestor will help. However, lightning can hit the ground a half mile from the well and still get the motor. I have had lightning hit motors in abandoned wells where the wires where not conected to anything.
  3. xlr8tion

xlr8tion P.E. (Professional Engineer)

Everything made in Texas.....

Such as CSV's and Lightning Arrestors make a well invincible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW..that CSV runs rock steady at 50psi for 11+ years now.......

Regards....Greg
  4. tvl

tvl New Member

220 volt pump????

Point out the wiring error please
  5. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

Its a 2 pole pressure switch and the stranded black and red pump wire connections are sloppy. Why only black and red? Is that the only conductors in the pump cable? I know nothing about well pump setups by the way.:eek:
  6. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

The output of the switch is normally connected to the inside terminals, and not the outside.

With that type of switch it really does not mater, as far as function.

It will work wired either way.
  7. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

yeah, me not knowing that and not being able to see the switch label, I can't see which 2 are L1 and L2, so I did not even mention it. but you can just see the contacts themselves and the phase barrier in the center. but the stranding is ugly and dangerous the way it is. my 2 pesos.

Yes I know better than to start a sentence with "but". But I did it twice, and now once more :))
  8. DonL

They could have done better with the stranded wire.

They should have use a 8 Foot ground rod and drove it further from the well.

If it does take a hit the energy will go into the well.
  9. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

Well, Well, Well. you've made your point.

Your sig line is why I do it (almost) all myself, and not the money part.
  10. tvl

tvl New Member

it was stated the switch was wired backwards............ for me that meant it was wired incorrectly and would not run the way they left it.

I too studied the contacts and the switch appeared to be wired in a manner that would allow power to be transferred from input to output. Anyway, I was wanting to see the error.

The wiring connections are truly "crappy"!!!
  11. DonL

When it come to lightning protection the Electrical coming into the house should be good enough if done properly.

Connecting a Lightning Arrestor to a single 4 foot ground rod does very little.

Anyway them are surge protectors and not Lightning Arrestors, Just because they call them that.

Hopefully Delta they will pay the next time it takes a hit. They may as long as they don't see the install.

Hopefully the electrical system meets NEC Article 250.