Delta Kitchen Faucet - sprayer diverter valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Werner Lohe

Reaction score
I have a 1989 standard Delta single handle kitchen faucet with sprayer. (I have the original Installation Guide, which says it’s either model 100, 110, 300, 400, or 100HDF—I don’t see a model number anywhere on the faucet.)

The sprayer stopped working about ten years ago. I’ve finally gotten around to fixing it. Since the sprayer nozzle had also cracked, I started by buying a new hose and sprayer head assembly. That did nothing. So I bought a kit, and replaced most of the innards: seats and springs, O rings, cam assembly, and—most important—the diverter valve. It seemed easy, but did nothing at all. No leaks, but absolutely nothing from the sprayer when I squeeze it.

The old diverter (badly corroded when I took it out) looks a little different from the new one. It’s part brass instead of all plastic, and seems to be a slightly different shape. The old Delta Installation Guide lists the original part as #320, and there it is on the Delta website in brass, “RP320-Discontinued.” Is it possible that the new diverter doesn’t work in the 1989 faucet, and I need to get the original #320 part? If not, what else could be wrong? (I didn’t test the new hose/sprayer for obstructions before I installed it, but there wouldn’t have been anything I needed to do to clear the hose before installing it, would there?)

Old and new diverter valves, below:

Diverter photo:

Faucet photo:

Last edited by a moderator:

Werner Lohe

Reaction score
Here's another idea.... I didn't notice that there's a black rubber plug shaped thingy on the new diverter that's missing on the old one. So maybe the old one--years ago--disintegrated or got dislodged and is blocking the brass outlet inside the faucet that goes to the sprayer. If it had gone down in to the old hose, my replacing the hose would have solved the problem, but if it's inside the faucet body, it would still keep the sprayer from working--though the regular spout would work fine, right? So I'd just have to figure out how to get it out of where it's lodged. Make any sense?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I told you elsewhere that the rubber piece is missing and if you did not take it off it is still in the faucet. A diverter does NOT stop water from going through the hose, it stops it from coming out of the spout. IF the diverter is missing or defective water will ALWAYS flow from the hose, but with less pressure because it will also flow from the spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks