Delta 600 series Noob shower fixture question.

Users who are viewing this thread

phospholipid

Reaction score
So, we just bought a home and I feel newly empowered that I smashed a wall, sweat my own pipes, crimped my own PEX, and completely refurbished the second floor shower. Three cheers for me.

Now I'm getting ready to do the first floor shower. In that shower, all of the buried plumbing is fine - no leaks. But the fixtures are trashed. What I want to do is replace them without changing anything in the wall. However, I have no idea how to get the fixture apart to get at the cartridge (which is certainly bad). Has anybody seen the fixture in the photo I'm linking to?

I suspect that the bullet end of that barrel twists off but gosh if I can't get it to spin.

delta_noob.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Delta 600, the knurled part unthreads. Twist it too hard and the copper tubes behind it will bend. A little heat may expand the metal and allow you to remove it. You can't press very hard on the pliers, or you will egg the part and make it harder to remove.

index.php

Using a 1.5" coupling on some pipe makes a good tool for removing the dome.

Last edited:

phospholipid

Reaction score
Awesome. That's great to know. Do you think I could get some penetrating lubricant in there? Also, how should I apply the heat? I have a torch. Should I wave the flame lightly around the end? Or is a heat gun sufficient?

Thanks again.

delta-600-mario-01.jpg

delta-600-mario-02.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't have a heat guy. I have used a torch right on the fitting. I haven't tried penetrating lubricant. I'm usually in a hurry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks