Delta 600 series Noob shower fixture question.

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by phospholipid, Dec 31, 2013.

1. phospholipid

phospholipid New Member

So, we just bought a home and I feel newly empowered that I smashed a wall, sweat my own pipes, crimped my own pex, and completely refurbished the second floor shower. Three cheers for me.

Now I'm getting ready to do the first floor shower. In that shower, all of the buried plumbing is fine - no leaks. But the fixtures are trashed. What I want to do is replace them without changing anything in the wall. However, I have no idea how to get the fixture apart to get at the cartridge (which is certainly bad). Has anybody seen the fixture in the photo I'm linking to? http://ja1me.net/Fix.JPG

I suspect that the bullet end of that barrel twists off but gosh if I can't get it to spin.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Delta 600, the knurled part unthreads. Twist it too hard and the copper tubes behind it will bend. A little heat may expand the metal and allow you to remove it. You can't press very hard on the pliers, or you will egg the part and make it harder to remove.
  3. phospholipid

phospholipid New Member

Awesome. That's great to know. Do you think I could get some penetrating lubricant in there? Also, how should I apply the heat? I have a torch. Should I wave the flame lightly around the end? Or is a heat gun sufficient?

Thanks again.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I don't have a heat guy. I have used a torch right on the fitting. I haven't tried penetrating lubricant. I'm usually in a hurry.