Delta 400 Kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

BennyBaby

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting my delta 400 to stop leaking. It is a spray divertor model with the #70 stainless ball. It seems the hot starts dripping after some unknown event. The whole assembly can't be more than 4 or 5years old. I installed the the faucet myself and it worked great all these years. We are not having water issues..all other faucets and toilets are OK, although all other valves are different types.
2 months ago it started leaking, I pulled the seats and springs out and noticed small tears in the rubber seats. The ball seemed a bit worn, but looked good enuf. I replaced the seats and it seemed OK.
1 day later the faucet hot was dripping again. I bought a new kit (Aftermarket not OEM). I replaced everything that came with the kit ( ball, cam, packing, seats, springs, and o-rings) and added a bit of plumbers grease to smooth the action. It worked OK for about 3 weeks. Today the hot was leaking and it was a small stream. Again both seats were slightly torn, the hot seat had the biggest gouge I have seen yet.
Today I replaced the seats, springs, cam, and packing from a Delta kit.
It is working for the moment.
I left off the top adjusting ring today, and left the chrome cap as loose as I dared.
What is going on??? Any body else have such a stubborn delta before??

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
sometimes its other problems

you have probably beaten it ...

but you should really tighten down that
ball adjustment ring....that helps a lot sometimes

occasionally a delta will develope a leak around the
actual Stainless Steel insert where the washer is seated..

you have to look really close at it for signs of decay
and leakage or deformanity around that SS seat...

odds are you have probably won

BennyBaby

Reaction score
Thx for the feedback. The SS inserts look nice and round, no corrosion where they meet the chassis. I probably have pushed everything in too tight before, maybe that is why I felt the need for grease on my second try.
Right now everything is loose, if my Mom doesn't get any drips I'll snug it up just a little bit and try that for a while.

The tears in the rubber seat washers are what is bothering me, it looks like the edge of the hole drilled into the ball is catching on the rubber when the handle is moving to and fro.
My Mom is old and freaking out about the possibility of losing pennies. She probably pulls that handle so hard to the closed position the entire chassis is stressed.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
You don't need to crank down on the plastic ring that puts tension on the ball. The faucet should glide as you move it with little effort. I'm assuming your cranking everything to tight and causing your self head aches, and pennies.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I am having trouble getting my delta 400 to stop leaking. It is a spray divertor model with the #70 stainless ball. It seems the hot starts dripping after some unknown event. The whole assembly can't be more than 4 or 5years old. I installed the the faucet myself and it worked great all these years. We are not having water issues..all other faucets and toilets are OK, although all other valves are different types.
2 months ago it started leaking, I pulled the seats and springs out and noticed small tears in the rubber seats. The ball seemed a bit worn, but looked good enuf. I replaced the seats and it seemed OK.
1 day later the faucet hot was dripping again. I bought a new kit (Aftermarket not OEM). I replaced everything that came with the kit ( ball, cam, packing, seats, springs, and o-rings) and added a bit of plumbers grease to smooth the action. It worked OK for about 3 weeks. Today the hot was leaking and it was a small stream. Again both seats were slightly torn, the hot seat had the biggest gouge I have seen yet.
Today I replaced the seats, springs, cam, and packing from a Delta kit.
It is working for the moment.
I left off the top adjusting ring today, and left the chrome cap as loose as I dared.
What is going on??? Any body else have such a stubborn delta before??

Probably has everything to do with two things, one you never even mentioned:

Water pressure, what is it? Don't say "it's fine" because that's not plausible. You need a gauge on it to determine how high it is....otherwise you're shooting blind on fixing your problem.

Second, using anything but Delta OEM parts is what has you on a forum board troubleshooting your faucet. Leaving crucial components off the faucet is another reason it's not functioning.

Checking the water pressure, determining if it is high or not, using parts that were made to repair the faucet is what solves the problem.

If your mother is abusing the use of this faucet, no wonder it's leaking. Danco seat cups are notorious for tearing because the rubber is too soft and adheres to the ball. True Delta seat cups have a white powdered tint to the cups which is embedded silicone to provide proper lubrication.

Delta would of covered all these parts for free, sent to you at no charge......until you put those inferior parts in the faucet. You've now voided the warranty on a perfectly good faucet.

GOOD LUCK

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks