delta 1700 leaking, help

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bakerboyz, Feb 10, 2007.

1. bakerboyz

bakerboyz New Member

I have a Delta 1700 shower diverter. It was leaking though the shower head so I changed the seats.

When I went to turn the water back on, considerable water is leaking from behind the cartrige housing into the wall cavity.

Could this have cracked when I was removing the cap? (it was hard to get off due to build up)

Do I need to replace the whole diverter? Is there something behind there that is threaded? I can only see through the 5" round hole in the fiberglass surround.

Any thoughts?
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

You must have put something back in wrong. Try removing the bonnet and stem assembly and install it again. If that doesn't fix the problem, remove the access panel and see exactly where the water is leaking from.
  3. bakerboyz

bakerboyz New Member

I cut a hole in the wall behind the valve.

The leak seems to come from the short curved tubes that are welded to the back of the cup.

Does Delta guarentee this?
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Does Delta guarantee not to leak when you overtorqued the body trying to get it apart or put it back together? To quote that world famous Handyman Al Borland, " I don't think so, Tim!"If you bought it at HD, they will take back anything.
  5. bakerboyz

bakerboyz New Member

I thought the same way so I went to Home Depot to buy a new units and the salesman insisted that I should call Deltas for a replacement part.
  6. you are screwed

it sounds like you have ruined the faucet
    they will not warranty twisting the valve body

you have to be gentle when you remove
    that large brass nut off the body of the faucet

in some instances its best to spray it all down
    with WD40 and let it sit for a while....

I will usually saw that nut off if it looks coroded
    just to keep from stressing the copper connections
    behind the valve body...

so if it is leaking behind the large brass body at the
    copper weld joints

---you have screwed the pooch----
  7. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

There was a thread fairly recently on how to remove the bonnet without twisting those two short pipes. I think the majority of people agreed that heating it is best when it won't come off easily. Using a liquid nutcracker like PB Blaster was also suggested.
  8. Cass

Cass Plumber

Spray some PB on it and then squeze / flex it gently but enough to help the PB flow through the threads. wait a min. and do it again then try and remove it. Tapping it may also help. It will work and when it breakes loose it will come freely. The PB has worked wonders for me if you let it work for you.