Delta 1500 faucet - installing the RP28603 kit

Users who are viewing this thread

chessie

Reaction score
faucet.jpg

I have this faucet, and it is leaking from the faucet itself.
(I got the picture from this old thread - but it is the same faucet as mine.)

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?43345-Leaking-Delta-shower-faucet

I called Delta, and they are sending me part kit RP28603. But there are no instructions with it (from what I have found online - I don't have the kit in hand yet), and I can't find any "how-to's" anywhere as to how to fix this thing. I found one forum that said I needed an 11/16 deep wall socket (which of course I don't have)

http://www.************.com/forum/t...ls/359096-changing-delta-shower-diverter.html

but the other thread says nothing about that. I'd like to know what I am doing before I attempt this, and at least have the right tools with me. Can anyone provide a better description of what to do? I sure would appreciate it.

chessie

Reaction score
We were unable to get the bonnet nut off. I had a plumber come this morning, and he basically looked at it, and said it wasn't coming off, and the entire valve would have to be replaced. The shower backs up to the other tub in the house, so there is no access from behind. He gave me a $1400 estimate, and that was with a military discount. Advice?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes, get a different plumber. The nut is proabably plastic, but even if it is metal, it can be removed and replaced with a new one. So far, I have NEVER had to replace any Delta valve because the bonnet nut would not come off.

chessie

Reaction score
That was what I thought. I had to write a check for $78 for the estimate, too. This really infuriates me - I think the guy just plain didn't want to do the job, and threw that out there. My BF called his own plumber (who is too far away to come out) and described the issue, and he said that even if he had to replace the entire faucet, through the front, it would be around $700 for the whole job, barring any unusual problems of course. I swear, if I ever do find an honest plumber, I think I am going to put them on retainer. :(

edit. I just spoke with 2 more plumbers, that pretty much echoed what you said. Neither of them have ever NOT been able to get a bonnet nut off, either through heat, or cutting them off...or something. They can't believe that the guy said that. Total gouging.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Probably a "flat rate" pricer and as such he has to include fees for every possible contingency, because once he gives you the price he cannot raise it if there are "snags". If there are snags, he doesn't lose money, and if there are none, he makes a bigger profit. They also charge a "show up fee" so you have a comittment to have them do the work after they give the price. It is one of the "expenses" you accept when you want a definite price before the work is done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks